Koodo Community
Solved

Sim deregistered - unauthorized port out? Who can I talk to immediately?

• 13 January 2021
  • 6 replies

I received a text from 611 saying a new pin had been created for my account. Immediately afterwards my SIM was deregistered. I can still sign into my Self Serve but it appears to be locked down in “stolen” mode. 

Can someone connect with me, please? My husband called a few minutes ago requesting a callback.

I did not authorize any changes to my account and am disappointed at flagrant facilitation of identity theft.

Can someone provide me a direct phone line? 

Thank you

icon

Best answer by Mihaela Koodo 13 January 2021, 22:56

Great! We’re really happy that this has been solved and we appreciate you taking the time to share this with us! We will make sure to also send your feedback to the proper department. Whenever a port request is submitted we do send a text message to that specific phone number to notify the user about the port and we also include that phone number. It’s curious you didn’t receive our text. 

However, with the port protection in place, this will not happen again for sure! Thank you for keeping us updated! 

View original

6 replies

Quick update - talked to Koodo port out team at 1-844-232-7678 with no wait time and they were able to revert the number port and file a privacy report.

Found the number at 

to increase visibility. 

Koodo, your chat bot should know this number!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

IIRC, they are prohibited from proactively applying port protection to all accounts by CRTC regulations.

IIRC, they are prohibited from proactively applying port protection to all accounts by CRTC regulations.

Good point, thanks Timo - you’re right, the ease of consumer provider selection kinda creates a funky loophole.

I would edit my remark then to say: Consider asking if this is a feature the subscriber would like. ;)

Anyway, thanks for the support/input on this case, still cleaning up the damage but to anyone who sees this - don’t end up in my shoes! 

Cheers,

-A

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Definitely did the right thing with a call back. I'll flag this too Nd see what's faster.

You were supposed to get a sms first before a port out could occur. This is surprising.

Userlevel 5

Great! We’re really happy that this has been solved and we appreciate you taking the time to share this with us! We will make sure to also send your feedback to the proper department. Whenever a port request is submitted we do send a text message to that specific phone number to notify the user about the port and we also include that phone number. It’s curious you didn’t receive our text. 

However, with the port protection in place, this will not happen again for sure! Thank you for keeping us updated! 

Hi Mihaela,

Thanks for responding on this post. I can assure you that I received no notification that my number was to be ported. I received 2 text messages from 611 at 3:35 saying that my PIN was successfully changed, and in the time I heard my phone vibrate to when I unlocked it, my SIM was deregistered. I did receive an email to my personal email account saying “we are sorry to see you go” however I do not access my personal email account while I am at work.

I am currently filing a report with the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre as I have had $1,200 (that I know of) spent on my behalf through (Edit: PayPal via Ebay) eBay. In the span of 30 minutes! The Koodo representative who served me at the aforementioned phone number was excellent but I implore you to consider two things:

1. Port Protection should be activated by default on an account. 
  2. Identity theft & fraudulent activity phone #s should be easily accessible and should be properly coded into the chatbot. 

I would also like an explanation as to why the security rep who assisted me could not disclose the provider my number was ported to. If I have to issue an Access to File I will, but this information would have made my gap closure for ID theft a lot easier. My A2F is forthcoming.

Thank you.

Screenshot 1: evidence of last “known” sms (phone # obfuscated on last entry) - note 3:35 611 PIN notification followed by numerous UBER texts once my phone service was restored @ ~4:11pm. Also note: “Scammer stole my SIM” is a text from someone checking if my phone number was still registered to the unauthorized device.

Screenshot 2: Details in 611 text.