Koodo Community

SIM CARD SWAP

• 31 July 2020
  • 7 replies

My family member just have been victim of SIM CARD SWAP scam.

We try to stop the port swap when we got the the text. However, KOODO customer service never answers the phone. We are able to contact them next day with different number. Since, KOODO did not answer the call and the port was swapped and scammer spend $14,000 dollars through Pay-pal.  The scammers also can use KOODO  number to contact the customers. This was verified by the representative I talked. I try to verify one number with the representative he told me that the number is belong to Koodo but there are no written record of them calling us. My advice is use the company who actually have proper customer service and do not answer any call from KOODO.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Did you receive a text saying your number was ported? they should also give out the number of the porting center with it. DId you call that number?

Anyway, Koodo SIM swap is just a part of the hack. Did the hacker know the paypal password? how did they transfer the money? Have you talked to paypal and reported to police?

Userlevel 5

My family member just have been victim of SIM CARD SWAP scam.

We try to stop the port swap when we got the the text. However, KOODO customer service never answers the phone. We are able to contact them next day with different number. Since, KOODO did not answer the call and the port was swapped and scammer spend $14,000 dollars through Pay-pal.  The scammers also can use KOODO  number to contact the customers. This was verified by the representative I talked. I try to verify one number with the representative he told me that the number is belong to Koodo but there are no written record of them calling us. My advice is use the company who actually have proper customer service and do not answer any call from KOODO.

Hello there! Sorry to know about this situation. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble finding your account with the email address you have on file. When you get a chance please send us a private message on Facebook so we could look into the issue with you 🙂 - https://m.me/Koodo

Userlevel 6

Like Dinh said David, get to the Police !

Family member who got scammed move to another carrier and changed the number. it happened on this weekend. We did report to the police and we contact the papal and credit card and settle the issue. However, it does not change that the lack of response from KOODO and the scammers can use the KOODO number to contact the customers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I mean it’s a tough situation.  To port to begin with, the scammer needs to have your info and detail in order to move your number or hijack your account.  it is very difficult for Koodo to confirm who is the scammer if the scammer answers everything right.  

Like the Koodo rep said above, if you are having trouble reaching koodo, please try to send them a private message via facebook

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I mean it’s a tough situation.  To port to begin with, the scammer needs to have your info and detail in order to move your number or hijack your account.  it is very difficult for Koodo to confirm who is the scammer if the scammer answers everything right.  

Like the Koodo rep said above, if you are having trouble reaching koodo, please try to send them a private message via facebook

...not to mention the fact that porting out a number doesn't typically even require the person doing so to speak with the original provider.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

...not to mention the fact that porting out a number doesn't typically even require the person doing so to speak with the original provider.

Im starting to think Port protection should be mandatory on all accounts.  I was thinking a toggle on self serve, but if they hack into self serve, that wouldnt be very effective.