Koodo Community

Community

Solved

SIM card sizes, and then there were three!

Userlevel 1
I have a couple of unlocked phones and I just move my Koodo SIM card from phone to phone depending on the occasion (different phone for travel, even depending on where I am going) but now I'm looking at getting a phone that requires a nano-sim. Has anyone had any experience with the nano to micro to standard SIM card adapters? Do they work reliably. Up to this point all my phones take a standard size SIM card. And how do I go about getting a nano-SIM, can I order it online or do I have to visit a Koodo store. Thanks in advance for any advice.

11 replies

Userlevel 6
You can order your nanoSIM online or get it at the store, your choice. I can't say from experience the reliability of SIM adaptors, but I've never heard of any issues before.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I've heard good and bad things about the adapters. Personally I prefer to just have one of each size SIM from Koodo and just switch them in self serve when needed, then you don't have to keep putting in and pulling out the cards in each phone and chancing Breaking one of the SIM tray pins. So just put each SIM Card in the respective phone and write down the SIM Card # for each card and keep it in a safe place. Then just go on self serve when you switch phones and check your #s you have written down. Just keep in mind that you have to activate each card at least every 90 days so every couple months if you haven't used one of your phones just make sure to activate it again through self serve even if it's for an hour.
Userlevel 1
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

I've heard good and bad things about the adapters. Personally I prefer to just have one of each s...

I didn't know you could so easily have multiple SIM cards. I think that is what I will do (to reduce wear and tear on the phones) but have the adapter on hand in case self service is down. How long does it take to switch SIM cards using self service and the change to become active?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

I've heard good and bad things about the adapters. Personally I prefer to just have one of each s...

Usually 5 minutes to become active. I have many phones so it's easier for my personal devices, I keep some extra SIM's around to use in the review units I get lent to me from manufacturers to review for my website. Due to this I'm constantly using different phones and the longest it's ever taken was 15 minutes.
Userlevel 1
I used an adapter recently to go from micro to standard, it worked for a couple of months and then the phone (SIIX) stopped recognizing the SIM card. So I decided to try the micro-SIM on it's own sans adapter in a regular SIM phone slot and it's working perfectly. The adapter was never necessary from the get-go. My advice, buy the nano and see if it works without an adapter. If it does, you're good to go.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Humberto Giambrone wrote:

I used an adapter recently to go from micro to standard, it worked for a couple of months and the...

just a quick warning to excercise caution if you use this method. depending on the design of the sim card slot, it may be next to impossible to remove an undersized sim card.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Humberto Giambrone wrote:

I used an adapter recently to go from micro to standard, it worked for a couple of months and the...

Was thinking the exact same thing as some proper cards are hard enough to remove from some SIM trays
Userlevel 3
I never really bother with the adaptors. I don't switch often but when I do go between my device which take a full size and the one that take a micro. I just line of the micro sim in the full sim slot. 1st time was a huge hassle but after that usually only take a try or 2 to get it aligned. Though I would say this can come with some risks of damaging the sim tray with the "unsupported" card
Userlevel 2
i use a microsim adapter and it works perfectly. but you can always reactivate different sims as long as they have the same number as before.
Userlevel 7
I would just get the nano sim and yes you can order it online.
Userlevel 6
I use this (it's cheap on eBay!) http://www.statichukd.com/images/threads/1614764_1.jpg ...and I keep the cutouts as makeshift [i]back-to-standard-SIM adapters!