Koodo Community
Solved

Sim and memory card information and installation.

• 13 April 2020
  • 20 replies

Userlevel 3

I’m 70 years old and I know very little about cell phones. But I’m getting better. This community (especially rikkster, Sophia and Dennis) has been extremely helpful in giving me the information I needed to pick the phone that would work for my needs. It is a Motorola Moto One Action. My instructions say to insert the SIM and memory card. I know very little about SIM and memory cards. If I’m using the wrong terminology when I describe something, please correct me. From what I read the SIM card has something to do with linking up your phone with your provider. The memory card memorizes something I guess. I don’t know what though. My old phone has a micro SIM card, but my new phone requires a nano SIM card. I have seen a couple of tutorial videos showing how to trim down a micro card using a template and sharp scissors. Then sanding the thickness down slightly. My questions are: 1. Does anyone recommend this to be a good way to go or should I just buy a new nano SIM card? If you recommend a new one. 2. Can I buy a new nano card anywhere? 3. Are they all the same no matter where I buy one or are some makes or brands better than others? 4. If a nano SIM card links my phone to Koodo or any other provider, how does the SIM card know what to tell my phone? 5. In a different place the instructions say to insert the nano SIM card and optional micro SD card. What is an optional micro SD card (is it the memory card they spoke of earlier)? 6. if it’s optional, why might I want or need one? 7. Do they come in different sizes or memory capabilities? 8. After I get and put in the right card(s) and fully charge it, do I just turn it on and everything will work? 9. If I want to continue with the prepaid Koodo plan I was on, do I have to do anything or do nothing and my monthly payment will just continue as it had been. Sorry about all the questions, but I guess manufacturers think everyone knows all this stuff, so they don’t tell you much of anything in the instructions. It also doesn’t help that my last phone had all this stuff done for me, before it was given to me as a gift. So this is all new to me. Many thanks to anyone that can answer my 9 questions and add anything else they think would be helpful. I would really appreciate the help. And lastly when you explain things, can you please do it using simple terms that a 70 year old, technically impaired person like me could grasp? Thank you ever so much.

icon

Best answer by Allan M 13 April 2020, 23:04

1. I personally wouldnt recommend it but no harm should be done to the phone because of cutting your sim down. Worst you can do is destroy the sim card.

2. You can buy koodo sim cards primarily right now at koodo stores, at bestbuy.

3. You will need to buy a Prepaid Koodo sim card. Koodo sells both a postpaid and prepaid sim card.

4. You will need to either login to your online account for koodo or contact koodo to get them to swap the new sim card that you buy onto your account. (The sim card will have a long number on the back which identifies the card, that will be the number that you tell to koodo to have it registered onto your account/with your phone number

5. SD is the memory card that was mentioned earlier

6. The phone you bought comes with 128GB of storage which should be plenty for your needs. A sd/memory card would be good for adding additional storage on your phone and can be used as a backup. (You can store your data (pictures for example) on the sd/memory card and then if you drop your phone for example and break it you can take out the sd/memory card and all of your pictures would be on that. Then you could put it into another phone or computer and get your pictures)

7. Yes, the ones used for your phone would be a Micro SD card. (Not to be confused with the nano Sim card you need). They come in varying storage sizes, nowadays anywhere from 16GB-512GB

8. After doing the sim swap that I mentioned earlier, then yes, you can just turn on your phone and be ready to go

9. Again, do the sim swap and then yes, continue paying your bill.

Let me know if something doesnt quite make sense for you!

View original

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

1. I personally wouldnt recommend it but no harm should be done to the phone because of cutting your sim down. Worst you can do is destroy the sim card.

2. You can buy koodo sim cards primarily right now at koodo stores, at bestbuy.

3. You will need to buy a Prepaid Koodo sim card. Koodo sells both a postpaid and prepaid sim card.

4. You will need to either login to your online account for koodo or contact koodo to get them to swap the new sim card that you buy onto your account. (The sim card will have a long number on the back which identifies the card, that will be the number that you tell to koodo to have it registered onto your account/with your phone number

5. SD is the memory card that was mentioned earlier

6. The phone you bought comes with 128GB of storage which should be plenty for your needs. A sd/memory card would be good for adding additional storage on your phone and can be used as a backup. (You can store your data (pictures for example) on the sd/memory card and then if you drop your phone for example and break it you can take out the sd/memory card and all of your pictures would be on that. Then you could put it into another phone or computer and get your pictures)

7. Yes, the ones used for your phone would be a Micro SD card. (Not to be confused with the nano Sim card you need). They come in varying storage sizes, nowadays anywhere from 16GB-512GB

8. After doing the sim swap that I mentioned earlier, then yes, you can just turn on your phone and be ready to go

9. Again, do the sim swap and then yes, continue paying your bill.

Let me know if something doesnt quite make sense for you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
  1. I recommend a fresh Koodo SIM card. Was one included with your purchase? If not, easiest is to find a Koodo retailer to make a purchase. You may already have a Tri-cut SIM. Check to see if the smallest section can be popped out.
  2.  See 1, the SIM card needs to be from Koodo. Once you have one, you register the number on it to your account to make it ‘live.’
  3. See 2
  4. See 2
  5. Micro SD card add additional memory storage. It is not necessary for the operation of your phone.
  6. See 5
  7. Yes, varying GB of storage. See your favourite electronics retailer.
  8. Yes, once you have the correct SIM set up and in the phone.
  9. Yes, your plan will happily work with you new phone, and new SIM (if one is needed)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Right, to summarize the excellent answers both Allan and David gave, you don’t need a memory card. Your phone will have plenty memory, much more than your previous phone. Just leave that be for the present :)

The SIM card, get this one: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Koodo-Prepaid-Sim-Card-Standard-Micro-Nano-4G-LTE-Canada/223949256902?hash=item34246a78c6:g:CqsAAOSwNHZefqiu

Cheap and no need to potentially damage your phone with an ill cut SIM!

Userlevel 3

Wow. They were quick replies. Thank you so much everyone. Now I know exactly what I have to do. I really appreciate the help. If it wasn’t for the help I’ve received here, I’d be still trying to figure out what kind of phone I needed. :relaxed:

Userlevel 3

I have a question for Sophia about the link you gave me. The picture of the packaging and the description call it a standard micro nano sim card. Is that correct? I thought you had a micro card or a nano card. I’ve never heard of a micro nano card. What is it, a micro or a nano? Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That one is a tri cut SIM, Patrick, it has all three sizes in one. It’s like a little Matryoshka doll, you just take out the smallest one.

As Allan said above, make sure your current SIM isn’t actually tri cut too… if you see tiny lines you might be able to remove (push out) the center part and like a miracle, it’ll be a nano SIM :grinning:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Here’s a video that shows you how: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4hDouYqxww

Userlevel 3

Thanks Sophia. My old phone has a micro sim card. No tiny lines. One solid piece. I have heard of a tri cut. I just didn’t know what was. But I know what you mean. It’s kind of like a select a size. You punch out the size you want. Now I’m trying to figure out if I should stick to my current prepaid which is about $17 a month or go with a monthly plan. Up until now (for the last 4 years) I have never had to add a talk booster and I’ve only paid for 3 data boosters at $30 each. If I continued the way I have been, it would be smart to stick with what I have been doing. But I am making a change. I’m going to be changing my vehicle insurance to something called Ajusto. It’s from Desjardins Insurance. They monitor your driving through your phone. They will know if you’re speeding or braking too hard etc.  This is where I need help from you or anyone else. Is anyone is familiar with this kind of insurance, do you know if this uses my data or not?  I have no idea if that change will affect my data. If it does use data, does it use much? I have no idea how I’d find answers to this. Even if somebody could point me in the right direction as to where I could get some answers . I asked my insurance agent and she had no idea. So I need a little help with that now. Thanks everyone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Oh gosh that is a no brainer: stick with prepaid! There is no way that app will use so much that you need a postpaid plan. And if it ever does, you can always make that decision when you find you need to buy a $30 booster too often. Also, there are other prepaid options such as the $25 plan that includes a little more data. But in all honestly I don’t even think you’ll need that.

You did change your plan to the new one that has 250MB data right?

Badge +4

Correct! The SIM card is what connects your Motorola One Action to Koodo. When installing or removing the SIM card or microSD card, it’s best to power off the phone. 

In a pinch, it's possible to cut the micro SIM card down to a nanoSIM. I’ve done it. I used an X-Acto knife (not recommended, scissors are safer) and 1200 grit sandpaper. There was a lot of trimming and sanding to get the SIM card to fit flush in the SIM tray. I agree with Dave and Allan in that it’s best to get a new SIM card.

The nanoSIM is significantly smaller in size compared to the microSD card. When the brass coloured contacts are facing downward, the nanoSIM will have a tiny angled cutout in the upper left-hand corner. The SIM card tray will have the same angled cutout. This ensures that the SIM card can only be installed one way in the SIM tray.

SIM card & SIM tray angled cutouts
(Optional microSD card shown)

Allan brings up a valid point with respect to a microSD card and backing up photos. The other point to consider is that while the Motorola One Action has 128 GB of storage, roughly 19 GB of storage is taken up by the Android (Pie) operating system. This still leaves you with a fair amount of storage space. I agree with Sophia that an SD card is not something you need right this second, but worth looking in to. 

The resolution of photos and videos affects how much storage is consumed. When shooting in high definition reolutions like 4K, 2K or 1080p photos or videos, these files can range in size from a few hundred megabytes to a few gigabytes or more! Offloading some of the larger photo and video files to an SD card will free up the phones’ internal storage space.

Motorola recommends a high-speed UHS-1 microSDXC card - the ‘XC’ portion stands for extended capacity. The Motorola One Action can handle up to a 512 GB microSDXC card. A 64 GB UHS-1 microSDXC card should be more than enough storage space whenever you decide on getting one. The logo that identifies these SD cards looks like the image below and will have the capacity in GB printed on the packaging.

Allan, Dave and Sophia have done excellent work in covering everything else!

Userlevel 3

Thank you Sophia and rikkster. I haven’t changed anything yet, Sophia. I haven’t been able find a place that is open that sells sim cards. All Koodo kiosks around where I live are closed. Even the one in Costco is closed. E-bay has some with a 5 to 9 business day delivery. Amazon delivery of May 6. Does any of the larger variety stores like Mac’s or 7/11 sell them? I already called Walmart and for some reason they don’t sell them. So if anybody anywhere knows where I can buy a Koodo nano sim card, please let me know. Even suggestions would help. The reason I’m reluctant to cut my micro card down from the phone I’m using now, is because I’m in the middle of trying to get a friend of mine who is stranded in Australia, get back to Canada. The medications she is on, run out in about 10 days. They are unavailable in Australia, so I’m working with her doctor to get her meds Fedexed to her. If I screw up cutting my only sim card up, I will have no working phones. I just can’t risk that. I just have keep using my old, slow phone until I can get a new sim card.  Sophia, when you asked me if changed my plan to the new one that has 250MB data, I don’t understand what you mean by that. Is that something different than what I have? When do I change it and how? I’m so sorry, but I just don’t know anything about changing that and why. Would you mind backing up and explaining in detail what that means? Sometimes I fee so dumb when stuff just goes over my head. God I talk too much. Thanks again everyone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Best buy says as early as April 20th!

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/koodo-prepaid-tri-cut-sim-card/11359405

Badge +4

Bestbuy mentions that they can deliver a nanoSIM card as early as April 23, 2020, (next week Thursday).

Koodo Prepaid Tri-Cut SIM Card

Userlevel 3

I forgot to thank Allan and David. Thanks guys. Your help was awesome.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

To answer your question about the plan that includes data, see this post: https://community.koodomobile.com/other-80596/koodo-sales-people-7797046#post19850341

That explains it I hope, if not, holler 😊

Userlevel 3

Thank you Sophia, for re-posting the information on when to renew my plan. I understand what to do now. And luckily my base plan expires the END of May 6.  Can I assume that means it ends at midnight of May 6 ?  So should I renew (change my base plan) earlier in the day of May 6, or to be sure, should I renew it on May 5 ? Or does it even matter?       

I have a few more questions for anyone that wants to help me. I looked at the other plans offered to me and I like the first two. They differ in that one offers 250 MB of data and the second offers 500 MB of data plus 500 phone minutes. Of course the second is $10 more ($25). I think the second one is the best deal. My question: Is there a big difference between 250 MB & 500 MB? I have no idea how that will last me. Is it possible, if I’m careful, to not go over the 500 MB in a month? And what’s really important. What kinds of things eat the most data? I’m thinking that if I can stay away from a lot of those kinds of things, I could make my 500 MB last the month. I do know that if I had to, I could add a booster. And lastly, if I start my first month with 500 MB and I only use 400 MB, does that unused 100 MB carry over to the next month or do I start fresh each month with a new 500 MB only.

Thanks again everyone. I can now be patient, order, and wait for my nano sim card. As long as I get it before May 5.  I don’t think I’ll have anymore questions until May 4 th or 5 th.  You all have been very helpful and I really appreciate it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

To answer your first question, I would change your plan on the 5th, just to be sure.  I could live with the loss of one one day (= 50 cents) :grin:

To answer your question about the $25 plan: I seem to remember you don’t call much. So that means you’d be spending $10 more each month for just 250MB of data extra. And they don’t carry over to the next month, unlike the boosters.

Let’s do some math here :blush:  A 1GB booster costs $30. That means that 250 MB (1/4th of 1GB) would cost you $7.50… and whatever you don’t use doesn’t expire as you mentioned.  That means that if you won’t make use of the extra minutes you will receive, you’re basically throwing away your money with the $25 plan.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thank you Sophia, for re-posting the information on when to renew my plan. I understand what to do now. And luckily my base plan expires the END of May 6.  Can I assume that means it ends at midnight of May 6 ?  So should I renew (change my base plan) earlier in the day of May 6, or to be sure, should I renew it on May 5 ? Or does it even matter?       

I have a few more questions for anyone that wants to help me. I looked at the other plans offered to me and I like the first two. They differ in that one offers 250 MB of data and the second offers 500 MB of data plus 500 phone minutes. Of course the second is $10 more ($25). I think the second one is the best deal. My question: Is there a big difference between 250 MB & 500 MB? I have no idea how that will last me. Is it possible, if I’m careful, to not go over the 500 MB in a month? And what’s really important. What kinds of things eat the most data? I’m thinking that if I can stay away from a lot of those kinds of things, I could make my 500 MB last the month. I do know that if I had to, I could add a booster. And lastly, if I start my first month with 500 MB and I only use 400 MB, does that unused 100 MB carry over to the next month or do I start fresh each month with a new 500 MB only.

Thanks again everyone. I can now be patient, order, and wait for my nano sim card. As long as I get it before May 5.  I don’t think I’ll have anymore questions until May 4 th or 5 th.  You all have been very helpful and I really appreciate it.

It really depends on how you use your data and if you have easy access to wifi.

I personally Use 6GB every month and about 15GB on wifi.

This month, due to self isolation I have used 1GB and almost 40GB on wifi.

But I use a lot of social media, videos, games, and do not try to “save” my data in anyways.

Userlevel 3

Many thanks to Sophia and Dennis.  Sophia, your math makes sense. I’m going to stick with the plan I’m on. One last little question. If I really like using my new phone and I start using the phone more often, can I change plans part way into my year if I think it would be worth it? Thanks again everyone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

But of course! You can go with a higher prepaid plan all the way up to the postpaid one Dennis mentioned. You can do that at any time, that is why I personally think it's wise to wait and see what you usage is going to be, before jumping the gun with another plan