Koodo Community
Solved

Senior Requiring Phone

My father is 87 and has been using a flip phone forever; it broke about a month ago; i purchased him the nexus 5 because i thought it would be easy for him to use - but the technology is overwhelming. I found a phone on Ebay; this is in the about line: The Big Button Mobile Phone is 'unlocked' and compatible with any carrier that provides GSM service, such as AT&T. I would like to know if this phone will work on Koodo... I am assuming its coming from the states but I need to get him something and it seems this phone or something similar would work. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

13 replies

Userlevel 1
You didn't mention the exact model, but I found the Snapfon ezTWO which looks nice. Koodo should carry such a phone and even have a package that works well for seniors. Koodo is a re-branded version of Telus aimed at the younger generation but it's the seniors that have the big bank accounts and are more responsible (in general) about paying their bills 🙂
Userlevel 4
Steve wrote:

You didn't mention the exact model, but I found the Snapfon ezTWO which looks nice. Koodo should ...

There is no point in Koodo carrying gsm phones. The tech will be deactivated within this year. If it doesn't take a SIM card, it will...in other words...be useless.
Userlevel 1
Steve wrote:

You didn't mention the exact model, but I found the Snapfon ezTWO which looks nice. Koodo should ...

The Snapfon ezTWO is a quad band phone that does take a SIM card. It has the exact same bands as my Android.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Steve wrote:

Beeblebrain, it's the CDMA network getting shut down, not GSM.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Steve wrote:

The ezTWO is not 3G capable and will not work on Koodo.
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly - I did see the Snapfon but I thought it came on a plan .. and i certainly don't want another plan. I looked, at futureshop, when i purchased the phone, and didnt see anything like the snapfon. But if you think i can buy the snapfon outright and bring it to Koodo - i would like to do that. Do i just ask Koodo to change the sim card? sorry, I'm not that technoligically savvy 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Karen Peters wrote:

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly - I did see the Snapfon but I thought it came on a pl...

The Snapfon will not work on Koodo.
Userlevel 1
Yes, just buy an unlocked one (without a plan), put a Koodo SIM in it and even get a 10% discount for bringing your own phone to Koodo. I see them unlocked for around $80 new.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
MAKE SURE THE PHONE SUPPORTS 3G 850/1900. If it doesn't you will only be able to use it on Rogers/Fido.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Anyone know if this would need to be unlocked to work on Koodo? http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/lg-electronics-telus-lg-a341-prepaid-cellphone-a341/10210513.aspx?path=573ac88e1de2bb7ff02887046f9baf5een02
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

Anyone know if this would need to be unlocked to work on Koodo? http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/pr...

Worst case senario, it costs $35 to unlock. Which is a better deal then buying a flip phone direct from Koodo https://shop.koodomobile.com/koodo-cell-phones/talk-and-text-phones/lg-a341/prodKHLGA341.html
I called Snapfone - they use a AT2G network. The woman i spoke to wasnt sure it would work on Koodo/Telus. She referred me to a company in canada, Frontier Computing who does Snapfone's bidding in Canada. I thank you all for your quick responses... once i hear back, I will post with what Fronteir says. I never knew this forum existed... I wish i knew that before i purchased the Nexus 5 for my dad. Karen
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Karen Peters wrote:

I called Snapfone - they use a AT2G network. The woman i spoke to wasnt sure it would work on Koo...

No matter what they say, you WILL NOT be able to use that phone with Koodo.