Koodo Community

Community

Seasonal hold of plans - more flexible

Userlevel 4
Hi, currently it is possible to put a Koodo plan on hold for 1-6 months for a charge of $10/month. That is basically a fair arrangement for customers who leave the country for a while. However, it counts as a plan change. If the customer uses a plan that is no longer offered, they lose that plan. They have to choose a new plan when the come back. This is not fair and I hope you can change that. Especially with the now more frequently offered promotional plans customers would feel shortchanged and might decide to ditch Koodo altogether, move their number to a prepaid SIM or very cheap basic plan and then chose a different provider when they come back. If they have the choice between paying off $100 on the tab or two months on a useless $60 plan, it is an easy choice.

25 replies

I do agree with you that there should be an easier way but right now, there doesn't look to be one. I don't have any suggestions to make this any better. Basically until a better option comes along, the seasonal hold as a rate plan is the best option.
Userlevel 5
It's still a better option that what some other carriers (Telus for example) have, which is no seasonal hold at all.
Userlevel 4
Jorden wrote:

It's still a better option that what some other carriers (Telus for example) have, which is no se...

Agreed. And I like that this option exists. But it could even be better, more "customer centric", to employ some management buzz lingo. 🙂 And the improved version could even reduce churn. So it could work in the favour of Koodo.
How do you place your phone on Seasonal Hold thru the Self Serve options?
Userlevel 2
smac8888 wrote:

You don't. You have to call in and request it. What country are you visiting?
Userlevel 7
smac8888 wrote:

Actually Self Serve was recently updated for seasonal hold to be put onto an account.
smac8888 wrote:

I just spoke to Koodo Support today on another issue....she mentioned that Seasonal Hold can be done by Koodo ($10) or thru Self Serve....I can't find the option in Self Serve. We are in the U.S. as I type.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
smac8888 wrote:

I think I saw the seasonal hold add-on($15) on self serve recently. But now I don't see it...
Userlevel 2
smac8888 wrote:

Our helpfiles show that Seasonal Hold can be switch on Self Serve. smac888, it would be a rate plan change.
Userlevel 2
smac8888 wrote:

I should add that you must have it on the account for at least 1 month.
smac8888 wrote:

Found it, Go To: Self Serve/Plans&Add-Ons / go to "Change your Plan"/ find (far right side) "New Plan" / 'Seasonal Hold" is the last item in the list.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
smac8888 wrote:

Right! Seasonal hold is not an Add-on. It is a New plan 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Seasonal hold is $15/month now.
Sadly, this will be the end of my Koodo experience. Im leaving the country for 5 months. Why pay $15/month while Im away, then have to start all over with a new plan when i get back? Why not pay off my tab, which is about $75, save $65/month for 5 months then start over when i get back? This is a dumb move by Koodo that will cost them customers. In these times, the last thing you wanna do is drive customers away. Bye bye...
Userlevel 2
Paul Black wrote:

Sadly, this will be the end of my Koodo experience. Im leaving the country for 5 months. Why pay ...

You can pay off your tab & cancel then open a new account. Seasonal hold is primarily for those that want to reserve their number.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The idea here is to keep your plan after you came back from the seasonal plan. (Right?) I like this idea 🙂 Say if I have to go to another country for business or a family matter. I still want to keep my current plan and I’m willing to pay some fee for it. And If I pay $15/month for no service I get during this time, I want to get my old/ same plan back after I come back.( I know other carriers don’t have this option) I don’t care much for my number but my plan is too valuable to give up.
Mayumi wrote:

The idea here is to keep your plan after you came back from the seasonal plan. (Right?) I like t...

Apparently, putting your plan on hold counts as a plan change, which is senseless. Therefore, when you come back from abroad, you don't get your old plan back. The $15/month just keeps your number, that's all. If you have a good plan, you lose it. Period. The end. Thanks for coming out. That's the problem. Paying the $15/month should count as keeping your plan active, but temporarily dormant. This is a bad policy. Its stuff like this that makes me glad the Federal Gov't is about to make some much needed changes to the rules on how cell phone providers operate. They obviously need more regulation, not less.
Userlevel 4
Mayumi wrote:

The idea here is to keep your plan after you came back from the seasonal plan. (Right?) I like t...

Seasonal holds won't be part of that change
Userlevel 2
Mayumi wrote:

@Paul, the reason why it counts as a rate plan change is because it's just that. The actual process requires going into the list of rate plans and selecting it. I'm sure you understand the idea of Seasonal Hold is to reserve the number(and account essentially) for a lower cost. Yeah, it sucks that you can't get a rate plan back if it becomes expired, but really, there isn't another way to go about it(that I can think of). There isn't a way to reserve the old plan. It can't be done as an addon(as the normal rate plan will still be billed out). The only thing that really comes to my mind would be suspending the account(or the line, if it's just 1 number) and adding on a reacurring credit that would reduce the price down to $15 for the specified amount of time.
Mayumi wrote:

Listen...this is all about Koodo forcing ppl off cheaper plans that brought them into Koodo in the first place. When i put my satellite service, internet service and newspaper on hold when I'm out of the country for an extended period they don't treat me like shit when i come back in the spring. All u gung-ho wannabe apologetics out there need to give ur head a shake. This is a corporation you're sticking up for, they do not have ur best interests at heart, trust me. If they were interested in customer retention, they wud do wut every other business does and just put a customer's account into dormancy for up to 6 months without trying to shock the life out of us snowbirds when we come back in the spring. If every other business can keep me on the same plan, why can't Koodo? Greed, thats why.
Userlevel 2
Mayumi wrote:

If you disagree with Koodo's policy that much, you're free to cancel and go with another provider.
Userlevel 4
Mayumi wrote:

Listen...have you failed to notice that some of the changes Koodo has done was a result of the customers' suggestions? People wanted to know how to pay off the tab faster...Koodo has the 2 year agreement now as well as the ability to pay into the tab manually (from what I saw in another thread) Some of the phones that Koodo picks are a result of the customers' demand. When requesting the seasonal hold, the agent is to advise the customer that there is a chance the rate plan they are on would not be available when they get back as the Seasonal Hold is a rate plan. If said customer agrees, it is on them to remember this when they get back as accounts are noted. Just to be crystal clear on this subject, this has nothing to do with forcing people out of anything. It comes down to choice and working with the reps to see about alternate arrangements. You can point the finger at the company, the poilicies, or one of the seven deadly sins all you want. It comes down to accepting the offer of Seasonal Hold, declining it, or the other suggestion Myke posted. "The only thing that really comes to my mind would be suspending the account(or the line, if it's just 1 number) and adding on a reacurring credit that would reduce the price down to $15 for the specified amount of time." That is a great suggestion. If all of those offers are declined, not the company's problem. Last point. Given that this is a public forum with people both young and old, please refrain from swearing as some may find it offensive.
Userlevel 1
Yeah, i had lost my 6gb plan because i had to go somewhere for 4 months and thought of paying it out would be too expensive.. sighh
When I asked about the process on how to 'Seasonal Hold' from the Koodo Support person, I was informed that the hold would cost $15/mth/phone and we would loose our current plans. We understood this process and chose to go on 'Seasonal Hold' as we want to retain our current phone numbers when we return. I'm not a aware of any other cell provider that offers this service for free? It seems you can't have it both ways. The Koodo rep did point out that there are several times of the year (Christmas, etc.) when Koodo offers better pricing so depending on when you reactivate the phone(s) you may actually be offered a better plan. This is the chance we are prepared to take as traveling outside of Canada with a Canadian cell phone is going to be an expensive proposition.
Userlevel 4
smac8888 wrote:

When I asked about the process on how to 'Seasonal Hold' from the Koodo Support person, I was in...

Well said.