Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Scam, claiming that the phone was theirs...creepy

Here is my story: 

I received a call claiming it was a wrong number from ( 514 586 8074 )

Then right after I got a call from (438 833 3186 ( in french)) really insisting, claiming that they have lost their/my phone.. and that my number was his number too!. I've been having my number since 6 years when I started with Kodoo.  

Here is the weird thing: [b]they knew the model of my phone. They terminated the call, but they claimed ( by text) that they were willing to pay money for the phone. I'm wondering what's the type of scam.

I'm keeping texting with them (Just for fun, I love making fun of  scammers), I'm wondering if they are using social media ( google/facebook) to get the information of the devices. 

I can not track in the forum similar cases like this. Have anyone similar cases? 
Is there something we can do to stop scammers? 

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
There isn't much that can be done besides reporting the numbers used assuming they're not just some spoofed numbers.

It's pretty bizarre what they're doing. You can block the numbers as well but there's no guarantees they won't use other numbers. Otherwise you'll probably need to just ignore further contact.
Goran wrote:

There isn't much that can be done besides reporting the numbers used assuming they're not just so...

Do you think there is any risk information is being leaked from Koodo? I'm not even sure Kodoo knows my device Model. (I got my device on a decent ebay seller on blackfriday) 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

There isn't much that can be done besides reporting the numbers used assuming they're not just so...

Call it luck/odds.  Especially if iphone.  I would guess an iphone 7
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Get them to send you money first.  They will mail the phone to them.  But dont send it and when they ask again get them to send you more money 
Dennis wrote:

Get them to send you money first.  They will mail the phone to them.  But dont send it ...

I'm trying but now they are not responsive. I'm sending them text now whenever I feel lonely.  😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Get them to send you money first.  They will mail the phone to them.  But dont send it ...

Omg you are killing me LOL