Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Samsung s7 mobile data intermittent drops

So I've had this galaxy s7 for months now. Bought it directly from koodo. Its been working fine with no problems until last week. My mobile data will now barely work when the connection drops to 4G. It tends to continually work when it's connected to LTE but when it drops to 4G the Internet just stops working. Once in a while however it will actually let me load a Google page using 4G but even that seems to take forever. I believe I recently installed an update 1-2 weeks ago. I checked all my Internet settings and everything seems to be correct... could it actually be the update that's causing this? Is there anyway koodo could help? Thanks so much for any help you can offer guys! 🙂 -Sam

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Try rebooting your phone.

Also has 4G caused you issues before? 

Has this happened in certain areas only?
Dennis wrote:

Try rebooting your phone.

Also has 4G caused you issues before? 

Has this happened in cert...

Thanks for your reply. Rebooting the phone makes mobile data work on 4G only for the first minute. Then it just stops loading anything even though the up and down arrows by 4G that show the receiving and sending of data is highlighted. So it looks like it's trying to recieve and send data but nothing loads or works. It happens anywhere when it connects to 4G. Just landed in Vancouver from Toronto and still the same issue yet when it's LTE its much more reliable. I don't think I've ever had issues with 4G until very recently...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
OK so to isolate the issue, put your Sim card in another phone to see if the problem follows. If you don't have one you can do it in, go to a Koodo store and they will have a test Sim card and phone that you can try to see where the problem lies. If its your phone, you can try resetting network settings, and then a factory reset if you haven't restarted and toggled airplane mode and pulled your Sim out and back in again yet. If its your Sim, a new one should fix it.
I'm having the same issue with my S7. I lose the ability to send text messages even when it drops to 4G. I have to reboot my phone and then it's fine for about a week, and then it happens again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Alisa Cole wrote:

I'm having the same issue with my S7. I lose the ability to send text messages even when it drops...

Do you have an older phone you can use to try and replicate the situation? If this happens with another phone as well, then it's the SIM card that's acting up and that's a cheap enough fix.

If it's happening only with your S7, then I'd suggest performing a factory reset (after backing up all necessary personal data). If the problem is still there, then that may indicate a hardware issue, which would be grounds for having your phone repaired/replaced under the original warranty.
Alisa Cole wrote:

I'm having the same issue with my S7. I lose the ability to send text messages even when it drops...

I don't have a phone that takes the micro SIM.
Userlevel 7
Alisa Cole wrote:

Try going to a Koodo shop to test it out. They should have a testing phone for these scenarios.