Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Rural Manitoba Ever Going To Get Coverage?

Will you ever get service in rural manitoba? particularly Birtle/Hamiota. My city of Brandon has always had MTS/Rogers but now the market is open to Koodo, Telus, Fido, Virgin, Bell, but all these companies don't have rural service... I really like Koodo and want to continue, but need service rurally.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
For the time being it's only going to be MTS and Rogers/Fido... no word on any expansions to the other networks yet. Maybe they have some sort of exclusive agreement for the footprint in that area? I don't know.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
There is an exclusivity agreement between mts and rogers regarding use of the hspa network, so the only way bell/telus will be able to expand coverage is by building their own towers. Each cell tower takes at least a week to set up, AFTER all zoning and approvals are in place, and we're talking about hundreds of towers at the very least. Even assuming that the added business is worth the investment required, this would certainly be a multi year project.
Userlevel 1
Hi Michayla! Koodo was announcing last October that he was launching his HSPA coverage in Manitoba. in Brandon, Portage la Prarire, Selkirk, Steinbach, Lockport, Sainte Anne and Victoria Beach.
I live 2 hours north of Brandon, What is the best phone I can get with our limited services out here
Userlevel 2
Heather A Whiteside wrote:

I live 2 hours north of Brandon, What is the best phone I can get with our limited services out...

Given that there's rumors of Telus shutting down their CDMA network, I really have no idea..

I live 2 hours north of Brandon, What is the best phone I can get with our limited services out...

So does that mean I will not have any service??
Userlevel 2

You can still activate a CDMA phone if you aren't in an HSPA area, as the CDMA network is will still be up and running until 2015, that's if the rumors are correct.

Really sucks to be left out in the dark...sort of speak. I thought rural Manitoba was going to be getting better service. I guess maybe with other companies??
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Assuming the rumours are correct, I foresee a major push to try and close some of the huge HSPA dead zones over the next 2 years ahead of the CDMA shutdown.
Userlevel 2

Agreeing with Timo here.

that would be wonderful