Koodo Community
Solved

Retreive data from broken phone

• 26 January 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

My wife dropped her phone, the screen got smashed and cannot be read or used. We picked up a new phone and activated it, but are unable to retrieve her photos, or her text message history using smart share, NFC, linking the phones by cables or hooking it up to a laptop. When I do try the direct wire method,  I am unable to click the popup that allows the computer to access the phone's data.

I have researched this issue a bit, and some people suggest an adapter that might cast the phone's screen to a television,  and using a mouse to click the permission popup.

Anyone tried this, or have any other method that might work?

icon

Best answer by MikeK 30 January 2021, 20:49

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I resolved the issue by ordering a USB/OTG adapter from Amazon, allowing me to mirror my screen through an HDMI cable to a television set, and use a wired mouse to unlock the phone, turn on smart switch and allow for a wireless data transfer to the new phone.

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

My wife dropped her phone, the screen got smashed and cannot be read or used. We picked up a new phone and activated it, but are unable to retrieve her photos, or her text message history using smart share, NFC, linking the phones by cables or hooking it up to a laptop. When I do try the direct wire method,  I am unable to click the popup that allows the computer to access the phone's data.

I have researched this issue a bit, and some people suggest an adapter that might cast the phone's screen to a television,  and using a mouse to click the permission popup.

Anyone tried this, or have any other method that might work?

Which phone was your wife using?

Userlevel 1

The broken phone was a Samsung S8. The new phone is also a Samsung...A71 this time. A few people have suggested that our phone provider could retrieve the data from the cloud, but we have never set it to do backups to the cloud.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The broken phone was a Samsung S8. The new phone is also a Samsung...A71 this time. A few people have suggested that our phone provider could retrieve the data from the cloud, but we have never set it to do backups to the cloud.

You should be able to transfer your content with Smart Switch. There are a few ways to do it.

The first way is to do it with the computer. You will need to install Smart Switch on your computer, back up all the content from your old phone, and transfer the content to your new phone. Once you transferred the content to the computer, you can also sync the data to your new phone. https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00048603/

You can also transfer the content wirelessly. Make sure to install Smart Switch on both phones and place the phones within 4 inches of each other. You can find the instructions at the following link. https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062998/

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Were you able to turn the phone  on? Also, was there any passcode in the phone and can you still enter it with the cracked screen?

Userlevel 1

Yes, when the old phone is operating,  I have transferred data using Smart Switch  and NFC in the past. The problem is, I can't turn either on due to an inoperable screen, and I can't tell the phone it's ok to allow a laptop to access data when I connect them by wire as I have always done to transfer photos, etc. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, when the old phone is operating,  I have transferred data using Smart Switch  and NFC in the past. The problem is, I can't turn either on due to an inoperable screen, and I can't tell the phone it's ok to allow a laptop to access data when I connect them by wire as I have always done to transfer photos, etc. 

It depends on how you set security access with your phone previously. The security feature was there to protect your privacy. If you couldn’t enter a passcode or allow the PC to access it,  you might need some help from a local repair shop. I would suggest you call them and see if they can offer a temporary screen or something to get the data out.

Userlevel 1

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I resolved the issue by ordering a USB/OTG adapter from Amazon, allowing me to mirror my screen through an HDMI cable to a television set, and use a wired mouse to unlock the phone, turn on smart switch and allow for a wireless data transfer to the new phone.