Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Replacement phone in the United States?

My phone is broken and I need to replace it. I purchased the phone and plan in Canada, but I am currently in the United States. Can I purchase a new phone in the United States and still use my Canadian plan/SIM card?

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Hey Hallie! Sorry to hear! As long as you get a phone that's unlocked, or pay to get the phone unlocked it will work 😃
Userlevel 7
Yes but you may need to unlock the phone you buy in the states. Avoid buying a tracfone/net10/straight talk phone at walmart as they can't be unlocked.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Any phone that is AT&T compatible and unlocked will be 100% Koodo compatible. Try to find one that can use your existing SIM, since they come in a few sizes, and Koodo will not ship you a replacement. Check out staples.com to get an idea. Many more available on Amazon, eBay etc. Avoid Walmart. As Chad says, most of the cheaper brands they carry will not work with Koodo, no way, no how.

Userlevel 1
Hello Hallie, As long as the phone is unlocked you can use it. But I would strongly recommend you to check with the IMEI of the phone using the link below. Try to copy paste it in the browser. It wil tell you whether or not a particualar phone will work on koodo network or no. http://help.koodomobile.com/getting-started-with-koodo/sim-cards-and-non-koodo-phones/how-do-i-know-if-my-phone-will-work-on-the-koodo-network
This is all great advice. Thank you! I have replaced the smashed one, with a new working phone. Totally useable with my SIM card, etc. Thank you everyone for all of the help.