Koodo Community

Recently moved... long distance number?

• 9 October 2020
  • 24 replies

I’ve talked with two different Koodo CSR’s this week, and they had difficulty understanding my issue and/or they were unable to offer any useful solutions… so, I’m hopeful the Koodo Community can help.

I recently moved from Lac La Biche, AB to Sherwood Park, AB. Both towns are in the 780 Area Code, but there is approximately 200+ kilometers of distance between them. The phone number I acquired while living in Lac La Biche had a local 520 prefix (780-520-XXXX).

The building I moved to, in Sherwood Park, has an entrance buzzer that dials my mobile phone. This allows me the option to “buzz” them in to the building. Unfortunately, whenever the building system attempts to dial my number a recording plays (“You’ve just dialed a number to which long distance charges apply...”), and my phone doesn’t ring… therefore, I’m unable to provide them access into the building.

I’ve made Koodo aware that I’ve moved... and after repeated attempts, they don’t seem to understand the problem I’m having. After doing my own independent research, I feel like the issue might be related to the 520 prefix in my phone number.

I would be appreciative if anyone can offer an explanation as to why this issue occurs, and if there’s a solution other than “change your phone number”.

Thank you.

24 replies

Userlevel 7

Phone numbers starting  (780) 520- are assigned to  Telus Mobility Lac La Biche per   https://www.allareacodes.com/780

The service provider used to enable the operation of entrance buzzer falsely identifies your (780) 520 xxxx number as a long distance distance number. You need to address your issue with the building management office and ask them to resolve this issue with their service provider.

Thank you for the reply, nim4165.

I’ve previously talked to the Building Manager, and he informed me that they use Telus as their service provider. He said the building’s entrance buzzer is unable to connect long distance calls.

Is my number considered long distance, even though I’ve moved to Sherwood Park?
Do you know if there’s anything Koodo can do to convert my (780) 520-XXXX number to a local Sherwood Park number?

Userlevel 7

You can change your phone number from your self serve account by following instructions in this link https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/changing-your-phone-number

You may need to have more than one try, if the entrance buzzer app is especially finicky, 

Need to change your phone number? Here's how.

1. Log in to your Self Serve account.
  2. From the Self Serve drop-down menu, select Mobile services.
  3. Under “Manage your phone number,” select Manage.
  4. Select Find a new number.
  5. Choose the province and city for your new number.
    a) If you need a phone number for a different province, please contact us.
  6. Choose a new area code and the first three digits from the drop-down list, and select Next.
  7. Choose a new phone number.
  8. If no phone numbers appear, select a new area code number and search.
  9. Select Next.
  10. Review your changes and select Submit.
  11. You’re done! Your new phone number will be confirmed.

Just so you know

• You can customize any or all of the last 4 digits of your number by choosing Don’t see the number you want?
  • You won’t be able to change your rate plan during the billing cycle that you make this change.
  • You won't be able to make or receive calls for 15 minutes.
  • Your voicemail may be reset. Before submitting these changes, make sure to retrieve your voicemail messages.

Good luck!

I was hoping that Koodo could change my “Local Service Area” to Sherwood Park, so that I wouldn’t have to change my phone number… but I don’t know if that’s possible?

Userlevel 7

I do not think that koodo can do this. If you choose to change your phone number as per above instructions: “Choose a new area code and the first three digits from the drop-down list

You can select a “Sherwood Park” local area number: (780) 416-xxxx or (780) 417-xxxx and you are good-to-go (as per  https://www.allareacodes.com/780)

(780) 416- Sherwood Park Telus OR

(780) 417- Sherwood Park Telus

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can put the (+1) before the area code +1780xxxxxxx. That should get rid of the “warning of long distance call”.

I don’t think you have to change number just to avoid the warning.

Userlevel 7

@Dinh  The building system dials the number, resulting in the ‘long distance’ notification. It is NOT the customer who dials the number!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Dinh  The building system dials the number, resulting in the ‘long distance’ notification. It is NOT the customer who dials the number!

I was aware of that. You can ask them (the manager of the building) to add the +1 in front of the number.

Unfortunately,  the building’s entrance buzzer is unable to make long distance calls. Essentially, there is no long distance plan in place, for the building’s system… so adding a +1 before the number is not an option.

Ideally, I was hoping that someone could explain why it’s considered a long distance call, when I’m in the local calling area?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The number is assigned to a region which the entrance buzzer system (telus from what you have gathered) considers as long distance.  That unfortunately cannot be changed.  Just like if you had a BC area code, you cant just change that to a local number if you have moved to Alberta.

To use the buzzer system you will need to get a local number cell number or a landline.  A voip service like Fongo might work for you here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Unfortunately,  the building’s entrance buzzer is unable to make long distance calls. Essentially, there is no long distance plan in place, for the building’s system… so adding a +1 before the number is not an option.

Ideally, I was hoping that someone could explain why it’s considered a long distance call, when I’m in the local calling area?

It is not a long distance call.

The building system buzzer is using a normal phone number (probably a Telus/Koodo number) to call you when someone hit the correct buzzer code). Telus/Koodo for some unknown reasons put the warning in front of the call. The problem is the issue with the buzzer number, not your number. I would suggest you complain with them and ask them to add +1 in front of your number in their system. Again, it is not a long distance number. 

My building had a similar system but the manager seems to understand the issue and I didn’t have any issue even I used a different city number for the buzzer code.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The building system buzzer is using a normal phone number (probably a Telus/Koodo number) to call you when someone hit the correct buzzer code). Telus/Koodo for some unknown reasons put the warning in front of the call. The problem is the issue with the buzzer number, not your number. I would suggest you complain with them and ask them to add +1 in front of your number in their system. Again, it is not a long distance number. 

My building had a similar system but the manager seems to understand the issue and I didn’t have any issue even I used a different city number for the buzzer code.

It is worth a try but being in Edmonton, if they were using traditional calling features, I think Lac La Biche is definitely long distance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

OP quoted the message. It said “You’ve just dialed a number to which long distance charges apply...” that means it's a LD number.

Furthermore, here is the list of area codes and exchanges that are local to Sherwood Park, AB:  https://localcallingguide.com/lprefix.php?exch=002700&dir=

780-520 isn't on it.

Since this list is defined by the hardware in the central switching office, there is no way to simply “make it a local number” so the only option would be to use a different number, either by changing the cellphone number or by using a VoIP app to provide a second line with a number that will work.

Userlevel 7

Please note that using VOIP may allow the buzzer to call your number but the VOIP protocol may not be recognized  by the building system when you press ‘x’ to open the entrance door. My experience with NetTalk VOIP is that it is not recognized when trying to navigate through menus which require numerical input. Other VOIP services may/may not have the same deficiency.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Timo Tuokkola: This is the 1st time I heard calling between the same area code (780 to 780) can incur long distance charges despite the warning.

However, It is uncommon for Koodo/Public mobile customer had that warning even their plans allow province wide/canada wide calls. In the past I also experienced that issue (778 to 778) with Koodo. It was just a false warning for calling between numbers assigned to different cities within province.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Timo Tuokkola: This is the 1st time I heard calling between the same area code (780 to 780) can incur long distance charges despite the warning.

However, It is uncommon for Koodo/Public mobile customer had that warning even their plans allow province wide/canada wide calls. In the past I also experienced that issue (778 to 778) with Koodo.

You're contradicting yourself. You say that this is the first time you've heard that calls to the same area code can be long distance but at the same time you say you've been warned that long distance charges may apply when calling to the same area code. You only receive the warning if it's a long distance call.

Consider that area code 867 covers all three territories in Canada, but calling from Iqaluit to Whitehorse is definitely not a local call.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

However, It is uncommon for Koodo/Public mobile customer had that warning even their plans allow province wide/canada wide calls. In the past I also experienced that issue (778 to 778) with Koodo.

You're contradicting yourself. You say that this is the first time you've heard that calls to the same area code can be long distance but at the same time you say you've been warned that long distance charges may apply when calling to the same area code. You only receive the warning if it's a long distance call.

Consider that area code 867 covers all three territories in Canada, but calling from Iqaluit to Whitehorse is definitely not a local call.

I think you read it wrong. I wrote “ ...calling between the same area code (780 to 780) can incur long distance charges despite the warning ” I didn’t say I was charged or it was the first time I heard the message.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You wrote:

This is the 1st time I heard calling between the same area code (780 to 780) can incur long distance charges despite the warning.

Regardless, the original post has nothing to do with charges of any kind. The buildings system can't dial long distance numbers. Their number is long distance. That's why the building system can't call it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You wrote:

This is the 1st time I heard calling between the same area code (780 to 780) can incur long distance charges despite the warning.

Regardless, the original post has nothing to do with charges of any kind. The buildings system can't dial long distance numbers. Their number is long distance. That's why the building system can't call it.

Well, If there is no long distance charge for calling between 780 and 780, the warning was false. If the warning was false, the customer are seeking (and can have) a way to mitigate that message. That was my point.

Userlevel 7

I believe that we have exhausted discussion on this topic and have provided the customer with a number of solutions to solve the issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It isn't the area code alone that determines whether a call is long distance. It's the area code plus the exchange. For example, from Sherwood Park, AB, calling 780-530-xxxx is a local call. Calling 780-520-xxxx is long distance.

I appreciate the discussion… and all of the options provided.

I’ve since discovered that my mobile number (780-520-XXXX) is in fact a long distance call when calling from Sherwood Park… even though I am located in Sherwood Park. A friend in Sherwood Park, who uses Telus Mobility, does not have a long distance calling plan and incurred a long distance charge when calling me… even though we were both in Sherwood Park during the call, the call destination on her usage summary said Lac La Biche.

I’m relieved to know the issue, now… but I’m frustrated that Koodo’s “Tech Support” definitively told me that as long as you’re dialing within the same Area Code, it will not be a long distance call. I expect more accurate information from a Koodo employee.

Regardless… I think the best solution is to change my mobile number.

Thanks again, to everyone who contributed!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Well, thanks for the updated information. It was a surprise to me to see “local calling”  still existed in 2020

15 years ago, I got a landline with Telus (for 2,3 years). As far as I can recall, there were 2 options back then, province-wide or Canada wide. Now I searched the Telus website, the landline had “unlimited local call” ($30) vs US/Canada wide calling (+$15 more).. I guessed they figured out how to make money on landline by restricting all calls to a local city. Given all of their cellular plans moved to “Province wide”/“canada-wide” years ago, this money grab is unreasonable.

Anyway, if you knew the answer, I guess you could either change your number or persuade the  building management to move to a cellular service (or upgrade their Telus service).

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I appreciate the discussion… and all of the options provided.

I’ve since discovered that my mobile number (780-520-XXXX) is in fact a long distance call when calling from Sherwood Park… even though I am located in Sherwood Park. A friend in Sherwood Park, who uses Telus Mobility, does not have a long distance calling plan and incurred a long distance charge when calling me… even though we were both in Sherwood Park during the call, the call destination on her usage summary said Lac La Biche.

I’m relieved to know the issue, now… but I’m frustrated that Koodo’s “Tech Support” definitively told me that as long as you’re dialing within the same Area Code, it will not be a long distance call. I expect more accurate information from a Koodo employee.

Regardless… I think the best solution is to change my mobile number.

Thanks again, to everyone who contributed!

Unfortunately they were misinformed or misunderstood.

If you were making the call then yes there is no long-distance charge. But if it is another service and they it doesn't have province or Canada wide calling then this is a traditional in-country long distance call. Similar to an old landline calling Calgary to Red Deer