Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Recent experience with Koodo Kiosk agents. (Mostly the Manager)

Userlevel 1
So, here we go again with the issues that I have had to deal with in the past three days. I am really beginning to think that Koodo has it out for me as I am usually not really helped without me having to fight tooth and nail. Here is what has just transpired in the past three days of me owning my new Moto G. On Friday, I went and traded in my old phone and got some credit toward the price of the Moto G. Everything went smoothly with the purchase. Which I should mention was the $150.00 No Tab price. I got $90.00 for the trade in and then payed about $67.** more for the remainder of the cost. This was the price I paid for the phone outright. Simply cause I had no other funds to be able to pay off my remaining tab to put a bigger subsidy on it. Got the phone home and was using it then later went to do something on it again and found out that I was not able to make or receive any calls or texts. Everything on my notification bar was saying Koodo on the left hand side and the Network symbol and the signal bars were showing and full. But alas, no internet without being on WiFi and no cell service. I popped the sim out and powered it down thinking it just didn't fully register at that time yet. Once I got the phone started again, a while later it did the same thing. I figured it might be the sim itself so I changed sims online with a spare one I had lying about. This worked for a while and then I started getting the same issues. After doing some searching online I heard that some phones had loose sims and they put a couple layers of thin tape on the back of the sim to get it to fit more snugly in the slot. I figured I would try that and it worked for a bit longer but it still had the issue. I went back to the mall today, which was two days after the original purchase, and got an exchange at the original price I paid with the trade in. I was also given a new v3 of the Micro Sim this phone takes just in case the old sim causes the issues in the new phone. I got the new one home and after testing it with the old sim and the new sim, no change in the issue. It is still here. I go back tonight to do another exchange, keeping in mind that I am now looking to get a different model of phone that is still in the same price range, either the Ace 2 x or the S 2 x and I am leaning more toward the S2X due to obvious reasons, and I am then told by the agents after they called their manager that to do the exchange I would need to pay the difference between what I was originally charged and the prepaid price of the phone which is $50.** more. I feel that this happening is a complete screwjob to me when I am trying to return an obvious defective device. I feel that if I paid a certain price for an item then I should be able to return the device and got the new phone that has the same price for the price that I originally paid. Being sold the phone at the No TAB price and then being told that to do the exchange that I would need to pay the difference that I already paid and the Prepaid price is absolute highway robbery at the simplest form. Never should of happened. And due to this treatment, I am seriously on my last legs with Koodo and am seriously considering dropping Koodo as my cell provider for the past 5 years to go to a different company. I just wanted to get an opinion of this matter by the community and to have Ashley or any other employee weigh in on this matter so I can find out the exact reason I was treated this way so I can tell if this is just an overreaction or if I do have merit in my decision.

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Al I'm sorry to hear about that. It's really weird indeed that you got those problems. I've test the moto G and haven't got any problem so far with it. Everything was working fine and tbh, I've never had problem with the Koodo network. I'll report this to Ashley.
Userlevel 1
Robert wrote:

Hello Al I'm sorry to hear about that. It's really weird indeed that you got those problems. I...

Thank you Robert. I appreciate all the help. I should also mention that the apartment I am in does have aluminium siding on the outside, however, this siding hasn't affected certain phones and only affects certain phones, so I don't think it has anything to do with the issue. But thank you again for letting Ashley know I am having issues.
Badge +4
The S2x would be your next best choice in that price range. The Ace 2x will perform adequately at first, but over time it will lag terribly as you add more apps, photos and music. There is a definite issue with certain cellphones and their inability to receive signals within a steel or aluminium-clad building. The aluminium siding acts like a Faraday cage, thereby trapping incoming and outgoing signals. When you step outside, are you able to place calls? At any rate, Robert has started the ball rolling. Sorry to hear you've had these issues with the Moto G. It is a reliable device otherwise.
Userlevel 1
rikkster wrote:

The S2x would be your next best choice in that price range. The Ace 2x will perform adequately at...

I can place calls at random times even in my apartment. I never know when it's going to happen until I try to use my phone. There is no warning whatsoever when the issue arises.
Userlevel 2
Hey Al! Thank you for sharing your story. I understand your frustration. We'll have to clarify that. Can you tell us which location did you visit please? Thanks. ________________________ If you see a good answer, give it a star.
Userlevel 1
Vincent wrote:

Hey Al! Thank you for sharing your story. I understand your frustration. We'll have to cla...

Hi Vincent. Sorry for the delay, I have been in class for the past couple of hours. The location that I was at that sold me the phone was at the Northgate Shopping Centre Koodo Kiosk location in North Bay, Ontario. I am not one for trying to get people in trouble to the point that it might jeopardize their jobs, but I am just in a miffed off mood with this situation that I am just looking for the proper help. Thanks for replying so fast though. I appreciate all the help from everyone in the community here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I just have to say that of course if you get a different phone that's a higher price when you return the "defective" phone that you'll have to pay the difference in price and don't see why this is surprising at all as it's like this everywhere. Not getting where you think that Koodo should replace the phone with a more expensive model at koodo's cost ?
Userlevel 1
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

I just have to say that of course if you get a different phone that's a higher price when you ret...

My whole issue paul is that both the Moto G and the S2X are $150 with the No Tab price. I was sold the moto g on the No Tab price of $150. They are now telling me that if I want to exchange a defective phone that I paid $150 for to another better phone that still costs $150 on the no tab price that I have to now pay the difference from the no tab price that I originally paid and the prepaid price of the phone even though I have a postpaid account and originally paid the no tab price.
Userlevel 7

I just have to say that of course if you get a different phone that's a higher price when you ret...

The OP isn't getting the prepaid version of the phone; Al just took it on the No Tab option so they should able to just swap it out for him.
Userlevel 1

And that is my whole point, so thank you Jonathan for understanding. This is why I am a little upset for the whole situation as I am being told that I have to pay more for the phone when I am post paid and am just buying the phone outright and just swaping my current sim into it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Oh ok I understood it wrong as I thought the S2x was $200 not the $150 the moto G sorry my bad. To add I wouldn't say the S2x is a better phone than the Moto G at all and really only the storage option IMO is the only thing that's better on the s2x, everything else in on par or better on the moto G especially the speed and smoothness of the phone, after using the G then going to the S2x your going to feel the S2x lags heck the S3 lags after awhile really bad.
Userlevel 1

True but at least with the S2X it gets full signal in my apartment. And that is really the only main thing that I need out of a phone. I need it to work no matter where I am in town.
Userlevel 1
Hi Al, I'm happy to help. I've spoken with the Manager of the store today and she told me that she'll gladly speak with you in person. Since I don't have access to your account info on here, it's best that you speak with her directly. Even though I can't see your account, it sounds like you may be trying to purchase a new phone from us without the use of your tab. Just a heads up that if you wish to do that you do need to pay the prepaid price for the phone. If you want to pay the postpaid price you'll need to pay off your outstanding tab balance first. That's how it is for everyone and to keep things fair, we can't make exceptions. I hope that everything works out for you 🙂
Userlevel 1
Ashley wrote:

Hi Al, I'm happy to help. I've spoken with the Manager of the store today and she told me that sh...

Well that's the thing Ashley. I do appreciate you looking into this, but let me just voice why I feel that this is not fair to me and to any other person looking to pay for a phone that is being activated on an already created account. 1. I can understand that if someone is looking to subsidize any amount of the purchase of the new phone that they would need to have a zero tab balance. I really do understand that. But why, if someone is simply looking to pay for a new phone that is just going straight onto their account but not subsidize any part of the price, would they have to have a zero tab balance when making a purchase using the no tab price? 2. When I was already sold the phone at the no tab price of $150, why am I now being told that, as the phone is defective, would I now have to, after being told this, pay the difference between what I was originally sold and the "prepaid" price of a phone that has the same no tab price? This is just not sitting right with me. Please don't think that I am trying to cause major drama or anything, but I just want to be explained in a clear and precise manner as to why this is. I have heard the whole that it is the way things are done, but no further explanations as to why this is.
Userlevel 7
Ashley wrote:

Hi Al, I'm happy to help. I've spoken with the Manager of the store today and she told me that sh...

Can I make the humble suggestion that you use the tab and pay it off immediately or pay 149$ and use 1$ of tab? Just a thought.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ashley wrote:

Wait, I'm confused. Ashley, why would he need to pay off his tab balance? I thought he purchased the phone outright? Also, I thought that customers with an existing account could purchase the phone outright without having to pay the prepaid price. On the website, it states that if you choose not to use any tab credits, that the phone is $150:

Userlevel 1
Ashley wrote:

@Al Robidoux: I completely understand where you're coming from. If ever a phone is defective, we always do our best to let you return it if it's within the money back guarantee period. It sounds like you returned the Moto G and are now interested in purchasing a new phone. This is where the prepaid price applies if you're not using your tab/don't want to pay off your tab. If you've been able to pay the no tab price in the past, the shop may have made an exception for you. I encourage you to return to the shop and speak with the Manager to get more info, they mentioned to me that they have some options for you that may be useful. @Ivan: Good question! No he definitely doesn't have to pay off his tab 🙂 At our Koodo shops we only ever have customers pay the prepaid price if they aren't using their tab, so my guess is that's why the prepaid price was quoted in this situation. You've raised a good point about our webstore, it's possible that they do not have the same conditions as our shops. I will double check with them and if necessary, I will definitely have them update our website. Thanks Ivan, good eye!
Ashley wrote:

So if a postpaid customer wants to buy a phone outright, they must pay the prepaid price? That doesn't seem fair.
Userlevel 1
So, I just want to apologize to all the parties involved in/brought into this situation. After rereading my original post, I can see that it does and did come off a bit more "harsh", for lack of a better word, and that was never my intent. Unfortunately, what I wrote has been written and this situation has been escalated to the point that I feel the need to retract some stuff. 1: I should of reread the opening paragraph where I stated that whenever I tried to get help it was like fighting tooth and nail. That part is the single biggest regret that I have in this whole situation. It ended up making a whole load of people who have done their best to help me out with many situations before this feel hurt and I am sorry. When I wrote this post, I was upset, and confused as I was never really explained in better detail as to why I was being told the things I was being told. Having said that, I understand that it is no excuse for my behaviour in this instance. 2: I really should of tried to think of some more gentler words for my frustration then the ones that I did choose. They made it seem like I felt that I should be the highest person in priority or that I felt I should of been made to feel more special then any other customer. And for that I need to apologize to the entire community who have been observing this entire thing. I really do have all the respect for the employees and members of the community in the whole world and hope that this situation has not damaged my name too much with all of you. So again. Ashley, Vincent, and to the entire staff of the Koodo Kiosk in North Bay, Ontario at Northgate Shopping Centre, I just want to apologize for the way I handled myself in this matter.
Userlevel 1
Al Robidoux wrote:

So, I just want to apologize to all the parties involved in/brought into this situation. After re...

I understand Al Robibdoux, no hard feelings 🙂 Hopefully the phone the options offered to you by the shop will work out 🙂
Userlevel 1
Hi Al Robidoux, thank you again for posting on the Koodo Community. I wanted to send you a quick note to let you know that we are taking this seriously. I am in close contact with the shop manager and they've reassured me that they plan on exhausting every possible option for you. Have a wonderful day 🙂
Userlevel 7
Ashley, it seems like getting the No Tab price during a redemption is not available to retailers like myself unless a customer pays off their old balance; Tab or no Tab. After I put in the IMEI and SIM card # (if needed/wanted) of the new phone the customer wants, the next screen establishes that their negative Tab will be billed out to them and then they select the Tab level or No Tab. So either way the customer will have to repay their old balance? It makes no sense because in most circumstances, an existing negative Tab balance will be lower than the price of the new phone the customer wants... so repaying the old Tab and then taking the new phone on the Tab would actually be cheaper (at least upfront) so... yeah.
Userlevel 1
Jonathan I wrote:

Ashley, it seems like getting the No Tab price during a redemption is not available to retailers ...

Thanks for the heads up Jonathan, I'll take this away and share this with my team.