Koodo Community

pros and cons between byod prepaid and byod regular plan

• 17 February 2021
  • 9 replies

Can you tell me the difference between a prepaid sim and a sim for a plan if I have my own phone? Is there a difference in service? Why choose one (prepaid vs plan) over the other? 

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It comes down to what is cheaper. For heavy data users, usually postpaid is a bit cheaper. For light users such as myself, prepaid is ideal. Service, network, availability etc are identical.

Postpaid offers a few extra perks such as roaming outside North America, but if you have no need for that, the best (only) way to decide is your wallet :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

For instance, if you think you need at most 5gb data, go prepaid. More? Go postpaid.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Well, right now Koodo has a postpaid promo of 6GB for $45, but that will end Feb 22nd. If you hurry you might still get that, currently that is a better deal than prepaid.

Heck knows what will happen after the 22nd, but I can just about guarantee the plans won’t make you happier than today’s offers :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, for sure!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

We might be able to suggest which if you know how much data you expect to use... Do you have any idea?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Other thing is that if you want to buy a  higherend phone, then you can buy it on Tab with postpaid. So you might be able to get some deals on phone purchase.

But if you buy a phone direct from manufacturers or 3rd companies, then it doesn’t matter. 

But, simple comparison between BYOD postpaid and prepaid for light data user, then I go with prepaid. 
6GB and more, then BYOD.

Thank you. So ‘monthly customers’ and ‘prepaid customers’ have access to the same speed and network?

I’m trying to decide which sim to buy. 

Thanks. Probably 5gb at most.