Koodo Community

pros and cons between byod prepaid and byod regular plan

• 17 February 2021
  • 9 replies

Can you tell me the difference between a prepaid sim and a sim for a plan if I have my own phone? Is there a difference in service? Why choose one (prepaid vs plan) over the other? 

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It comes down to what is cheaper. For heavy data users, usually postpaid is a bit cheaper. For light users such as myself, prepaid is ideal. Service, network, availability etc are identical.

Postpaid offers a few extra perks such as roaming outside North America, but if you have no need for that, the best (only) way to decide is your wallet :)

Thank you. So ‘monthly customers’ and ‘prepaid customers’ have access to the same speed and network?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, for sure!

I’m trying to decide which sim to buy. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

We might be able to suggest which if you know how much data you expect to use... Do you have any idea?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

For instance, if you think you need at most 5gb data, go prepaid. More? Go postpaid.

Thanks. Probably 5gb at most.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Well, right now Koodo has a postpaid promo of 6GB for $45, but that will end Feb 22nd. If you hurry you might still get that, currently that is a better deal than prepaid.

Heck knows what will happen after the 22nd, but I can just about guarantee the plans won’t make you happier than today’s offers :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Other thing is that if you want to buy a  higherend phone, then you can buy it on Tab with postpaid. So you might be able to get some deals on phone purchase.

But if you buy a phone direct from manufacturers or 3rd companies, then it doesn’t matter. 

But, simple comparison between BYOD postpaid and prepaid for light data user, then I go with prepaid. 
6GB and more, then BYOD.