Koodo Community
Solved

Problem / complaint about a customer service rep (need help with my plan)

• 4 October 2020
  • 12 replies

Hi, 

I just scheduled a call with a customer service rep regarding my data plan (I am hoping to increase my data as I’m not fully satisfied right now). The person who called me, apparently named Antonio, repeatedly asked my for my SIN number which I was not comfortable giving. I asked to speak to a supervisor but he said he cannot put me through to anybody else until I give my SIN. I’ve dealt with Koodo many times before but have never had to provide this over the phone. His attitude was very unprofessional also and it almost felt like he was trying to scam me. 

I would like to be contacted by somebody at Koodo that can help me with my issue. I’ve been a loyal customer for over 10 years and have never felt this way after dealing with one of your reps. 

Matthew 

icon

Best answer by Timo Tuokkola 4 October 2020, 22:07

Before reps can discuss anything related to your account they need to confirm that you are the account holder. This is typically done by asking your to provide your 4-6 digit pin number. If you are unable to do so, they need to confirm the information that you provided for the credit check when you setup the account. Failing that, they cannot discuss any account specific information with you.

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Before reps can discuss anything related to your account they need to confirm that you are the account holder. This is typically done by asking your to provide your 4-6 digit pin number. If you are unable to do so, they need to confirm the information that you provided for the credit check when you setup the account. Failing that, they cannot discuss any account specific information with you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

2 issues: I’ve never had to use my pin number and don’t remember it. My SIN changed when I became a permanent resident and I don’t have my old, temporary SIN number that you have on file. There must be a way you can verify my identity: address, date of birth, mothers maiden name, previous addresses, other ID numbers etc…  

If there’s no other way to verify my ID, how can you ever give me the help I need. I would literally be trapped and unable to even cancel my account, which I’m currently considering due to the lack of help you are able to provide. 

You would then need to visit a koodo store with photo id, at which point they could access your account and either provide or update your pin number.

Userlevel 7

The security measures are designed to protect YOU. Failing to provide verification information which is essential to protect your account, leaves you with very few options including the one which @Timo Tuokkola suggested.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Offering an alternative view: on the other hand, you should be grateful that Koodo takes you, your privacy and your identity so seriously. How would you like it if someone could just call and change your plan or worse, steal your number without any proof that it was actually YOU that wanted to make the changes?

Instead of being so angry, you should be happy at the lenghts Koodo goes through to protect you and your plan/number.

Timo offered the suggestion: go to a store with two pieces of ID (your foreign passport, driver’s licence or PR card would probably all suffice). Then have them set up a PIN for you and you’ll never have to go through this again.

One last thought: you can increase your data by just selecting a new plan from self serve… no need to talk to a rep at all.

2 issues: I’ve never had to use my pin number and don’t remember it. My SIN changed when I became a permanent resident and I don’t have my old, temporary SIN number that you have on file. There must be a way you can verify my identity: address, date of birth, mothers maiden name, previous addresses, other ID numbers etc…  

If there’s no other way to verify my ID, how can you ever give me the help I need. I would literally be trapped and unable to even cancel my account, which I’m currently considering due to the lack of help you are able to provide. 

Userlevel 7

The pin allows the agent to access your account. Were you first asked to provide your pin and did you provide the agent with the correct pin?

And if this is truly the case about the SIN, I can give my SIN number but - like I said - it’s not the same number you have on file. 

It’s illogical that somebody can’t help me over the phone. This is quite possibly the worst customer service I’ve ever experienced. 

The pin allows the agent to access your account. Were you first asked to provide your pin and did you provide the agent with the correct pin?

I told him that it’s been years since I created the pin and couldn’t remember it. He asked me for the last 3 digits of my SIN, which I hesitantly gave but it (like I said), it doesn’t match with my old temporary SIN that Koodo has on file. I asked to speak to a supervisor several times and offered other ways to prove my identity, to which he refused. I couldn’t even speak to anybody higher up about this. I was stuck talking to the same person who also would not provide his full name for me to reference to a supervisor. Almost zero transparency and accountability for the lack of professionalism. 

The security measures are designed to protect YOU. Failing to provide verification information which is essential to protect your account, leaves you with very few options including the one which @Timo Tuokkola suggested.

Yet virtually every other business can verify someone’s identity without asking for their SIN. From what I understand, it’s common for governmental agencies to request a SIN but not recommended for a private enterprise to do the same thing. I understand that I should have my PIN, but as I don’t, I’m simply shocked there’s no other way to verify my identity save for if I went to a store (which I’d rather not do in the middle of a pandemic). It’s okay though, at least I know now that I’ll definitely be cancelling my account with Koodo once I’ve paid my tab. 

I guess as there’s NO way to resolve my issue over the phone as you won’t accept any other way of proving my identity, and I don’t feel comfortable going to a physical store during COVID times, I’m essentially trapped. I just left a complaint with the Better Business Bureau of Canada. 

Userlevel 7

Just for the record - I would NEVER provide my SIN over the phone to ANYBODY!!

After failing to provide your pin (for reasons that you explained), you were asked to only provide the last 4 digits of your SIN, which you also failed to provide (for reasons that you explained). Under the circumstances, I think that verifying your identity at a koodo store and getting the service you need at the same time, seems like a reasonable solution. Stay safe!