Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Possible long distance???

I recently had to make a phone call to 1-888-xxx-xxxx. I have unlimited talk and text in Canada but this call shows United States on the display and I was actually talking to some in the UK. Does anyone know if the 1-888 numbers are toll free for koodo?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Toll free numbers are toll free numbers. There's no toll to call them. If for some reason it shows on your bill, call Koodo and demand the charges removed. That being said, anytime minutes still apply even to toll free numbers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

Toll free numbers are toll free numbers. There's no toll to call them. If for some reason it s...

800 numbers are toll free, but can be restricted as to origin. Many US firms will only accept toll-free form US numbers, Canadian firms as well. Can't call Shaw Direct 1-800 from a landline in the USA. I also recall not being able to do so from my (514) area code Telus cell while in the USA, and getting the message that calls from that area were not accepted on this toll-free line. Evidently, the call was viewed as originating from the local cell tower. If your call goes though, then there should be no long-distance charges. But be prepared that some numbers will bark back and give you a non-completion message.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Also, could 1800 numbers be numbers where they charge for a service?
Userlevel 7
Robert wrote:

That's possible but it won't show up on your koodo bill. That's third party billing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

1-900 numbers charge through the phone provider, 1-800 numbers may have a charge for the service you connect to as Chad indicated. I remember being billed by CompuServe for data connections via 1-800 numbers in the Dark Ages of the internet.