Koodo Community

Community

Port Koodo to Koodo

Hello I’m in Ontario and I signed up for a new Koodo account, in my name, with the $60/10GB plan with a new number. My wife also has Koodo post-paid plan. Also her plan has a Tab which I am willing to pay in full. I would like to port her number to my new account ($60/10GB). Is it possible to port from a Koodo Post-paid account to another Koodo Post-paid account? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

15 replies

Userlevel 2
Yes and no... no you can’t port post paid to post paid directly unless accounts have been active for 3 months... so you port it to prepaid the from prepaid to the new account... did you do the refer a friend?? You could have gotten 50$ credit...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Daniele Roncone wrote:

Yes and no... no you can’t port post paid to post paid directly unless accounts have been activ...

Slight correction, you can't port from postpaid to postpaid at all, regardless of how long you've had the account. I believe you're thinking of a transfer of ownership. Porting out and then porting back in should work fine though.
Thanks for your response! No I did not do the refer and friend. So just to confirm: I buy a prepaid sim, open an account with it. Then port my wife’s number to the prepaid acxountZ Then port her number into my $60/10gb account Is this correct? Does porting happen right away? Thanks
Userlevel 6
joe wrote:

Thanks for your response! No I did not do the refer and friend. So just to confirm: I b...

I would try to do the referral now and see if it still can get through. Normally, it has to be done before activation. The referral link is Koodomobile.com/refer, you can’t use the same email just FYI.

Porting a number happens within 2 hours Edit: added more info about Koodo referral
joe wrote:

Thanks for your response! No I did not do the refer and friend. So just to confirm: I b...

Thanks! I’ll try the referral. I heard you can only port a number once every 30 days. Is this true?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
joe wrote:

No, you own your number as long as it is tied to an active account. No carrier can "hold it hostage". https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/num.htm
Userlevel 6
joe wrote:

I believe so, so you’ll have to port it over to prepaid. Wait 30 days and port it back to your new Koodo postpaid account. You can try after 14 days through Koodo postpaid selfserve and see if it works. Prepaid SIM card cost $20 but you get it back as a credit. I recommend choosing the $15 baseplan and $5 talk minutes just in case, this is good for 30 days.
Userlevel 2
joe wrote:

No porting is different... you can only make changes to your account once per billing cycle such as plan changes or add-one or changing phone number (picking a different number completely) porting is outside these rules... but to prevent people from adding new lines just to drop old one all carriers have a 90 day rule porting from post paid to post paid... prepaid is a different beast like a different carrier... do port old number to prepaid that closes that line the port it back to new activation... should take 10 mins total
joe wrote:

I just wanna confirm so I don’t screw anything up. My wife’s account was opened 1 month ago. My new account was opened 2 days ago. So; I open a Prepaid account with Koodo, Port my wife’s phone number to this prepaid account Once her number is ported I can port her number again to my new account (that I opened 2 days ago) All within a couple minutes?
Userlevel 6
joe wrote:

Hi Joe, Another community member has successfully done this solution. This is the thread: https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/kodoo-frustration-there-is-no-happy-in-this-choice And look for Mobile Scott’s post. He managed to do it in one day.
Userlevel 2
joe wrote:

Just make sure to port the number to a Koodo or Telus prepaid for quick turnaround.  Otherwise you may have to wait up to 30 days to port.
Userlevel 2
joe wrote:

Yes you can
joe wrote:

Ok just to make sure, my wife’s account is a Quebec plan (through a loophole) with an Ontario number. Will this affect what I’m trying to do any way?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
joe wrote:

Porting out her number will kill her current plan.
Userlevel 2
joe wrote:

That’s obviously his goal