Koodo Community

Community

Solved

poor signal

Does anyone else in the Rosemont area of Montreal have terrible reception?

I get zero reception in my actual apartment, and minimal reception when I leave but stay in my neighbourhood. Anyone else have this problem?? Chatted with Koodo customer service briefly and they told me to reboot phone, remove and replace sim and battery, that did nothing. 

What the hell would I do I had an emergency and needed to call 911?? I'd be screwed.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Are you connected to lte or the 3G network? I remember Telus/Koodo use to have dead zones in Montreal but I figure that they'd be long since fixed by now. I certainly don't recall there being issues in Rosemont. What happens when you're outside of Rosemont? Is it the same or does the reception improve at all? If it doesn't get better or only minimally so and you're connected to 3G/WCDMA then it could be that the Sim card needs replacing.
Goran wrote:

Are you connected to lte or the 3G network? I remember Telus/Koodo use to have dead zones in Mont...

Thanks so much for the reply! I'm at work downtown now for example, and LTE signal is fairly strong. Doubting that there is any issue with my phone/sim...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Are you connected to lte or the 3G network? I remember Telus/Koodo use to have dead zones in Mont...

When did you start getting signal issues? Have you noticed anywhere else in the city that there are issues or that it's OK outside of downtown? Did you try both network types?
Goran wrote:

Seems pretty recent actually, in the last week maybe that there is just NO reception at all in my apt. Haven't noticed problems anywhere else so far. Not sure how to switch network types...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Android:

Wireless and networks => Mobile networks => Network mode

Here you can toggle LTE / WCDMA / GSM. Sometimes a phone will be happier without LTE if that signal is weak or unavailable in the current area.
Goran wrote:

Ah, it's already set to GSM/WCDMA/LTE AUTO...so I guess it automatically selects the strongest signal? which...isn't working...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

The phone automatically selects the strongest tower, which could well be a 3G signal.

If LTE is weak but nevertheless available in your apt., the phone will neverthess waste a great deal of energy trying to grab onto that signal on Band 4 (1700/2100) if you've enabled it. Those are the bars you will most likely see in the notification area if LTE and data are enabled.

The rest of the phone comms work on 850/1900 frequencies (3G).

Temporarily drop the LTE from your choice. See if it makes a difference. And you can still get data on 3G without the LTE, just not as quick.
Goran wrote:

Ok will try that later at home....thanks so much!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Also don't worry about 3G being slower. It's "slower" but I personally get 20+ mbps pretty reliably in Toronto/Montreal on 3G. It's fast enough for loading anything quickly. Even 1080p streaming doesn't go over 6mbps.