Koodo Community
Solved

Poor Reception In Sechelt, BC

Can someone tell me why I can get better reception on the bottom deck of a steel hulled ferry than I can anywhere in my house, especially as I can see a Telus cell phone tower just across the inlet where I live?

icon

Best answer by nim4165 21 October 2020, 19:45

Check your Mobile network settings ‘Preferred network type’ and ‘experiment’ with different settings (Global / 4G/ 3G). Select and use the Type which provides you with the best reception (highest number of bars). Note that you may find that your best reception may be 3G, which improves your call quality but degrades your data rates.

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Probably because that tower isn’t exactly covering your house 100%. I’m not sure, but I do see ALOT of Telus Towers in your region

Do you have any other phone to test with? 

I’m not sure what the source of this map is, but I can guarantee there aren’t that many Telus/Koodo towers in our area. I don’t have another phone to test, but I know that other Telus/Koodo customers in our 116 townhouse complex also have problems with very poor coverage in their homes.

Userlevel 7

Check your Mobile network settings ‘Preferred network type’ and ‘experiment’ with different settings (Global / 4G/ 3G). Select and use the Type which provides you with the best reception (highest number of bars). Note that you may find that your best reception may be 3G, which improves your call quality but degrades your data rates.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’m not sure what the source of this map is, but I can guarantee there aren’t that many Telus/Koodo towers in our area. I don’t have another phone to test, but I know that other Telus/Koodo customers in our 116 townhouse complex also have problems with very poor coverage in their homes.

Indoor signaling is always a challenge to phone as the signal needs to travel through various partitions to get to the tower (especially bad in the winter). If you are a postpaid customer and your phone was one of the compatible phone with WiFI calling, I would suggest you enable it https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/wifi-calling That should help.

Userlevel 7

Did any of the above noted suggestions improve the cellular phone performance in your house (or are you still struggling)? OR did you find another solution that worked for you?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The map I used was : https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Here’s another one confirming the same thing : https://www.scadacore.com/tools/rf-path/cell-tower-map-canada/

I’m kinda amazed why there are so many tho. Rogers has 1 tower and bell has only one even farther away but they all seem to have coverage in that area. Why does Telus need that many? 

Userlevel 7

Probably a ‘wall’ of amplified mobile repeaters to provide the Sunshine Coast neighborhood customers with mobile signals, stronger than other mobile providers signals. It would be interesting to hear from @pjcrawford of the proposed solutions he tried and his current reception status. There are many customers that struggle to maintain (especially phone) service in low signal areas. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I can pretty much guarantee Telus has that many cellular sites, as the map is drawn from the regulatory filings completed for every installation. The majority of the ones in Sechelt are pole-mounted units, often scattered through a central business core and do not have the range of those on a wide area tower. They are a grey box about 18” cubed.

I believe Telus entered into an agreement with BC Ferries to ensure connectivity on the gulf ferries.

So far, the only solution proposed that might work for me is to enable wifi calling on my phone which I have done with help from a Koodo call centre representative. We’ll have to see how well it works for me. Glad I recently upgraded to a phone that supports wifi calling. Too bad there’s no potential solutions for people using older phones outside of Telus installing a repeater to better service our complex.

Userlevel 7

The information in the Canadian tower map includes very useful details such as exact transceiver GPS location, frequency (1900Mhz and or 2100Mhz in your area) AND transceiver POWER.

As I suggested before, if you have a more powerful 1900Mhz transceiver close to your house, by locking your cell Network Type selection to 3G, you MAY get a better cellular call performance at home. No need to select/restrict to a specific Network Type when you are in an area with strong signal strength.

This suggestion may work for any location that has multiple small neighborhood transceivers (of different 3G/4G LTE frequencies) that only cover limited areas. 

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html