Koodo Community
Question

Poor cell reception

• 18 October 2020
  • 7 replies

I live a little off the beaten path, in Mount Uniacke, NS. I know I’m in a rural area, but according to Koodo’s coverage map, I should still have decent service. However, I frequently have 1, maybe 2 bars at best, and I’m consistently dropping calls. 

My roommate is also with Koodo, but has no problem with dropping calls. I’m not bothered by only having maybe 2 bars of service, but is there anything I can do to try and keep from losing calls?

I have an LG G7 ThinQ, and I have no problems with reception in Halifax proper.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Your phone may be less sensitive than your room mate’s which may explain the difference in receptions.  You may use try and wi-fi calling to overcome the low signal strength.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

One more $300 option (if you wish to keep your existing phone). 4G Cell Phone Booster Kit

https://wilsonamplifiers.ca/weboost-drive-sleek-4g-cell-phone-booster-kit-470135f/

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There isn't much for cell towers up in mount uniacke but you can judge where you are located based off this.

If your roommate is getting decent service though and you aren't then it is likely a matter of the phone you're using. What kind of phone do you use?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I live a little off the beaten path, in Mount Uniacke, NS. I know I’m in a rural area, but according to Koodo’s coverage map, I should still have decent service. However, I frequently have 1, maybe 2 bars at best, and I’m consistently dropping calls. 

My roommate is also with Koodo, but has no problem with dropping calls. I’m not bothered by only having maybe 2 bars of service, but is there anything I can do to try and keep from losing calls?

I have an LG G7 ThinQ, and I have no problems with reception in Halifax proper.

Koodo’s coverage map doesn’t tell you how good the service is. Just that there is. Which is the case. Try using your SIM in his phone to see if the signal improves.

Badge +4

You may want to look into Wi-Fi Calling as an alternative to a costly cellular signal booster. Wi-Fi Calling is a feature available on iPhone and Android that allows you to call and message over Wi-Fi when you have little or no cellular coverage.

The LG G7 ThinQ supports VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling. TELUS, the parent company of Koodo, has an extensive list of Wi-Fi-capable devices, including your phone. I prefer using this detailed list to find which devices are capable of Wi-Fi Calling. 

TELUS | Wi-Fi Calling for Apple and Android devices

Wi-Fi Calling is not available for Koodo prepaid users. You’ll need access to a Wi-Fi network within your home to be able to take advantage of this feature. Wi-Fi Calling only kicks in when it’s needed and appears or disappears as your coverage area changes, (e.g. when in Halifax, the Wi-Fi Calling symbol should disappear).

I’m using an LG G8x ThinQ, the menus may differ slightly from your phone. Tap the Phone icon, then tap the menu icon, (three dots in the upper right-hand corner of the screen). Select Call settings > Wi-Fi Calling. Tap Wi-Fi calling to turn on.

Edit: I didn’t see @nim4165 post on Wi-Fi Calling.

Koodo | Wi-Fi Calling

If you don’t have access to a home Wi-Fi network, here’s another option. Go to: Settings > Network & internet, select Mobile networks, tap Network mode and select ‘WCDMA only’. No need to reboot the phone, the setting is saved automatically. Wait a few seconds and monitor the signal strength indicator. You should see a few more signal strength bars.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

When you say your roommate has no problem, are you comparing calls in the same place in your home?  What happens when you put your sim in their phone and their sim in your phone?  Does the poor reception stay with your phone or does it move with your sim?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Sylver  This solution , if it works, may allow you to use your current phone and may not require you to change phones. Your mobile network setting may be locked to  only work  with 4G LTE. If you lock it (for this test) to 3G, your cell call performance may improve (but your data speed will be reduced). If it does, remove the Network Type preference and let the cell communication function select the best network type for each location (best network type for your home and for the city will most probably be different).