Koodo Community

Community

Solved

plan with a tablet

I'm about to buy a tablette with 3G. I was wondering if I could simply buy a new sim card for it and have the same phone number and plan. Is it possible and will I have any surcharges? thanks

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi Karina, unfortunaly, you can only have one number per SIM. It would be an awesome idea though, but Koodo doesn't offer anything like that at the moment. Your options are tethering your new tablet to your phone, or switching SIM cards between the two 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Since it can't be done your better off to buy a wifi model with no 3g capabilities which costs about $100 less than usually the 3g, model and use your mobile phone to create a hot spot and connect to that wifi hot spot with a tablet. Then the data used on the tablet is coming from the phone and since koodo doesn't charge for tethering you'll just be billed the same as if you were using your phone.
Tablets aren't compatible with Koodo's network, you're just wasting your money if you buy one and try to use it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Tablets aren't compatible with Koodo's network, you're just wasting your money if you buy one and...

Actually a couple of ppl on here have tried using 3g tablets and they work fine. Just make sure it is compatible with koodo's frequencies.
Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Tablets aren't compatible with Koodo's network, you're just wasting your money if you buy one and...

A tablet isn't a cell phone. You can't physcally dial. A tablet is an Internet Only device and Koodo's systems doesn't support those. Clearly this is a mistake in the system that must be corrected, unless Koodo wants to give the impression that tablets work on their system(which they really shouldn't, since they aren't cell phones).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Yes we know a tablet isn't a cell phone and you can't dial out with it and only use the Internet that's not the point . Koodo doesn't claim anything about tablets and doesn't make any claims that tablets will or will not work just that they don't offer tablet or data only plans, but they do work over koodo's network and I'm just saying that it has been tried by another person in the community and it works. Why is it an error in the system that a tablets data will work over a koodo 3g data connection ?
Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Koodo is a cell phone provider. Their services should work on cell phones only. You can't call a tablet. Thus it's clearly a mistake as Tablet,s by every right should not work on Koodo's network, becasue bottom line, IT IS NOT A CELL PHONE.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sherlock Holmes wrote:

The calling features just do not work on the tablet that's it but data will work. o
Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Well the data shouldn't work because it's not a proper device for Koodo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sherlock Holmes wrote:

A tablets data connection is exactly the same as a phones data connection there is no difference.
Sherlock Holmes wrote:

It shouldn't matter that the data works. It's like having half a car with no engine. Sure you can push it and fill it with gas, but it's not going to go very far now will it? Bottom line, this is an oversight that Koodo needs to fix so then they aren't giving out the wrong impression that Koodo accepts internet only devices.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Oversight? Where does Koodo claim that they accept internet only devices? In fact they claim quite the opposite: any device that is bought elsewhere is not guaranteed to work... Though many of us are using 3rd party unlocked phones etc successfully, Koodo never promised they'd work or be supported 🙂
Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I think you're not reading what I am typing Sophia. I never once said that Koodo accepts internet only devices. In fact, I am avidly against Internet only devices being used on a mobile provider unless they specifically mention that they do accept them.
Userlevel 3
Sherlock Holmes wrote:

there is nothing Koodo can really do to block them. As a device like a 3g ipad uses the same radios as an Iphone. just that the ipad doesn't have a phone app. Really the only difference between a 3g tablet and a phone is it's size missing phone services when looking at it from a connection point of view. It would be the same as them trying to block me from using my unlock WP8 from Rogers
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Exactly, Thank You Boolanger
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sherlock Holmes wrote:

It even works on my Chromebook which has a SIM slot as well... as long as we pay for the data, I see no objection of using any device that works, be it phone, tablet or laptop.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I notice more vehicular analogies on the Koodo community vs other analogies. Just commenting 😛
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
What if Karina bought the sim and just switched back and forth with activating the Sim card on Self serve. Like having 2 cell phones and switching back and forth which one is active. I think we talked about this in a previous post. I dont see why it wouldnt be the same with a Tablet
Dennis wrote:

What if Karina bought the sim and just switched back and forth with activating the Sim card on Se...

It can work as long as each sim card is switched back within a 90 day period. They just can't be used with another number.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

What if Karina bought the sim and just switched back and forth with activating the Sim card on Se...

That's possible but in my mind it's a waste of money to buy a 3g tablet that usually costs you an extra $100 or more than the wifi only model, when you have a smartphone already that you can just piggy back the data through a wifi Hotspot created by the phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

That's also true. But who knows. Maybe some people have their own reasons for wanting to do this, so at least they have an option and have been told the advantages of just hotspotting So what happens when a person texts or calls that number on the tablet?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

an educated guess says calls will go directly to vm.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

I think that's a good guess!