Koodo Community
Question

Picture texts are pixelated on Samsung S10

I recently upgraded from the Samsung Galaxy S8 to the S10. I’ve used the FB Messenger app for texting without any issues on my S8 for 3 years. Since switching to the S10 and installing an update 4 weeks ago, every time I send a picture through text it’s very pixelated, but not when I use messenger. I took my sim card out and put it back in my S8 and it doesn’t do it on that phone. Screenshots and pics still are clear. I’ve tried doing all the things listed on self help sites with no resolve. Text is unreadable and pictures look like they’ve been taken on a flip phone from 1999! I don’t see how it can be a carrier issue if it doesn’t do it on the S8 but does on the S10. If I send it through messenger the pictures are clear though. Any help would be appreciated. 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I recently upgraded from the Samsung Galaxy S8 to the S10. I’ve used the FB Messenger app for texting without any issues on my S8 for 3 years. Since switching to the S10 and installing an update 4 weeks ago, every time I send a picture through text it’s very pixelated, but not when I use messenger. I took my sim card out and put it back in my S8 and it doesn’t do it on that phone. Screenshots and pics still are clear. I’ve tried doing all the things listed on self help sites with no resolve. Text is unreadable and pictures look like they’ve been taken on a flip phone from 1999! I don’t see how it can be a carrier issue if it doesn’t do it on the S8 but does on the S10. If I send it through messenger the pictures are clear though. Any help would be appreciated. 

That is strange. It may very well be something to do with the Android update. I would suggest you to reach out to Samsung and see what they can do about it. You can either chat with a rep online, text “SUPPORT” to WECARE (932-273), call them at 1-800-726-7864, or send them an email

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Does this occur when you use the default text messaging app?

Userlevel 1

It depends on how Facebook Messenger interacts with Android OS (ie. what API Messenger leverages/uses, and what APIs Samsung’s “rendition” of Android made available for other apps - in this case Messenger.)  

For me, I use Messenger Lite.  Personally Messenger Lite works just fine for me for how I use it, and I’m not sure if there are any “must have” functionalities I’m not getting compared to regular Messenger.  Others said on reddit that they get better photos with Messenger Lite vs. regular Messenger.  Your mileage may vary. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/klufxs/facebook_messenger_photos_send_and_receive_low/