Koodo Community

Community

Picture messaging with data block.

Having a smart phone meant I racked up some data without even intending to, so I added data block. Unfortunately this removed my ability to send and receive picture messages. Can Koodo find a way to keep picture messaging even with data block?

6 replies

Userlevel 1
It won't work, Go to self serve to remove Data block to make it work . enable Data on handset
MatB wrote:

It won't work, Go to self serve to remove Data block to make it work . enable Data on handset

Thing is, I don't want to pay for 'accidental data.'
Userlevel 7
Unfortunately, no. HSPA phones require access to the data network to use picture messages. This is the only way for it work and the same applies to all HSPA phones across all carriers. Your plan includes picture messages, so you won't get charged for this data use, but if things auto-update/ data leaks in the background then yes you get charged for it. Couple of options: 1. Get a data plan. That way you will have less of a worry about using a smartphone. Having a smartphone without data is almost like fries without ketchup or a burger without cheese, in my opinion. 2. Depending on what kind of phone you have, several users have posted a method to edit the APN settings on Android devices so it will allow picture messages to go through but will not allow "regular" data transmission. What kind of phone do you have?
Jonathan I wrote:

Unfortunately, no. HSPA phones require access to the data network to use picture messages. This i...

Thanks for the reply Jonathan, I've got an old LG Optimus One.
Jonathan I wrote:

Unfortunately, no. HSPA phones require access to the data network to use picture messages. This i...

I just use Wifi on my phone so no need to get a data plan
Userlevel 1
Jonathan I wrote:

This is the post that Jonathan was referring to where you can change APN to disable Internet while enabling MMS on samsung phones, I guess it'll be same thing on LG, but you still need to remove Data block from your account http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/change_apn_to_disable_internet_while_enabling_mms_on_samsung_ace_2