Koodo Community

Phone number being assigned to another person continuously

• 5 September 2019
  • 6 replies

Ever since I signed up with Koodo there has been an issue where another person gets assigned my number. I can usually tell when as I start to get calls and messages from people looking for someone that has just been assigned my number but keep getting through to me. They usually change their phone number and the cycle starts again when someone else picks my phone number. No it is not telemarketers masking as my number as I have spoken to people assigned my number and explained to them what is going on. I even have a screenshot of my phone number calling me. I can't say I have received one day of uninterrupted service ever since I signed up with Koodo. Extremely frustrating as you can imagine. But it gets worse as now certain people can't get through to me and when they call the new person assigned the phone number picks up. Even more frustrating when calling in to Koodo customer service they are not helpful at all. Firstly telling me its impossible even though I have been dealing with this issue for over a year. I have had this phone number for almost a decade and the only solution they have for me is to change my phone number. If there's anyone out there that can provide some guidance I would really appreciate it.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I have had this happen to me one before.

Im surprised this has continued for a year. Let me flag this to a rep for you
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Hey @washere! This is an extremely odd situation. I looked up both of your numbers and they have never been associated to anyone else's Koodo/Telus account.

Your scenario sounds like a typical case of someone trying to port your number over without authorization so it remains in limbo until the port request gets cancelled by the system due to insufficient information. However, with that being said, there would still be a trace of each unsuccessful port out request.

Are the people who are calling you trying to reach the same person or business? A possible reason is that your number has been incorrectly advertised by someone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hey @washere! This is an extremely odd situation. I looked up both of your numbers and they have never been associated to anyone else's Koodo/Telus account.

Your scenario sounds like a typical case of someone trying to port your number over without authorization so it remains in limbo until the port request gets cancelled by the system due to insufficient information. However, with that being said, there would still be a trace of each unsuccessful port out request.

Are the people who are calling you trying to reach the same person or business? A possible reason is that your number has been incorrectly advertised by someone.

Is it possible that the number is erroneously being noted as available and hence assigned out again?

This was what happened to me when I first joined koodo
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Are all (or any) of the people who are being assigned your number actually koodo customers?
I have had this happen to me one before.

Im surprised this has continued for a year. Let me flag this to a rep for you

Thanks Dennis!

Thanks for getting in touch Chris! It's not possible that is the case as I have spoken to multiple people given my number after they called me from a different line and they told me they were given my number but can't receive any calls or texts. I have to receive all the calls and texts trying to explain the situation.

I can't confirm what service provider people being assigned the number are with but after speaking with Chris seems like it's Freedom mobile customers and that's who I was with before Koodo.

Thanks for all the responses! Just glad this issue is finally getting sorted out.
Just a quick update. It was determined that the issue was on Freedom's end as they didn't port out the number correctly when I left. Chris was able to get in touch and have the number removed from their systems correctly. Chris was a great help and dealt with the issue promptly. Can't thank him enough as I was losing hope regarding my situation. Thanks to everyone involved!