Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Phone need to be deactivated to return/ exchange? Within 14 days of purchase.

I bought a prepaid phone (Samsung Galaxy Discover) yesterday, and want return/ exchange it for a Nokia 520. Do I need to deactivate the phone to do this? The third party location where I purchased the phone told me this is necessary. If so, how do I go about it, and it my newly activated account (number, plan, booster) simply being transferred from the original phone to the new one? Is this something someone has experienced? Thanks

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi Hannah, You will probably need to factory reset your Discover. Go to Settings - Backup & reset - Factory data reset and follow the instructions. For the Nokia 520 you'll need a microSIM, but it is very easy to transfer your account information in self service - you don't need the store to do that 🙂 You'll get to keep your number & boosters of course 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I would keep the original SIM card since it will have your account and number on it before it can be transferred to the other cell
Thank you; So what I need to do then, is go to settings - backup & reset - factory data reset and follow instructions... and then it is successfully 'deactivated' and ready for a return/exchange? And I will need to purchase a new SIM card for the Nokia? And then I transfer my account and such on the Self Serve. The end? Am I missing anything? Thanks so much for the help!
Hannah Coal wrote:

Thank you; So what I need to do then, is go to settings - backup & reset - factory data reset ...

* Ok, and keep my original SIM card * Oh, too, one other silly question; do I keep the little pink "First Things First" booklet as I have written my passwords and such in it? Is it not expected to be included in "original packaging" Thanks again 😃 ( Just super nervous hoping I can in fact make this exchange happen, without any serious road blocks)
Userlevel 7
You're not really "deactivating" the phone in the sense you're referring to, you're just restoring it to its factory state. Your SIM card is where your service is tracked, not with the device itself. The place you bought it from can do this themselves, too. Then you'll have the store switch your service over to a micro SIM card since the 520 needs it to work. You don't need to pay for it as it's included with activating a phone. As for the little booklet, they might not necessarily need it back, but I would write them somewhere else just to be safe.
So when I take back the Samsung, and purchase the Nokia, do I get the micro SIM that comes with the the Nokia? And the store switches me over, as opposed to maybe me doing it over the Self Service thing online? And should I give them back the pink booklet with scribbled out passwords in it? Sorry for the questions, but I'm a little unsure of things, and the third party store from which I bought the phone doesn't really seem to know what it's doing.
Userlevel 7
Hannah Coal wrote:

So when I take back the Samsung, and purchase the Nokia, do I get the micro SIM that comes with t...

1. Yes, they'll do the SIM card exchange for you. 2. I don't think they'll want the pink booklet back because the old SIM would probably be thrown out anyway since it's been used already. Which third party store did you buy it from?
Hannah Coal wrote:

So when I take back the Samsung, and purchase the Nokia, do I get the micro SIM that comes with t...

Third party is Atlantic Superstore/Loblaws So I don't attempt to keep old SIM card, I exchange it at the store. (?)
Userlevel 7
Hannah Coal wrote:

Ohhh this is different! We don't deal with Koodo prepaid; only the Loblaws store itself carries it. You'll have to get a Koodo prepaid micro SIM from somewhere else or ask if customer service can exchange it for you.