Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Phone Compatibility. Hi. I have a phone from overseas with both 850 and 1900 frequencies but it does not work on koodo 3g. Any suggestions?

8 replies

Userlevel 5
What phone is it? It's possible it's comparable with the frequencies only on GSM and not HSPA, that would keep it from working with Koodo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Alas, Jorden is right, Hasan, it won't work at all 😞 It will probably work with Rogers (at edge speed) but for Koodo you need a phone with North American frequencies I'm afraid 😞
Thank you Jorden and Sophia. I guess I have my answer. Yes the HSPA frequencies dont match. I have even tried shutting off 3G but not luck. Will chatr be a good choice? Rogers is too expensive
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hasan Khan wrote:

Thank you Jorden and Sophia. I guess I have my answer. Yes the HSPA frequencies dont match. I hav...

Chatr should work, so would Fido and Speakout. They all use the Rogers network. However as I said your phone would probably still be crippled beyond usefulness (read: SLOW and lots of places without coverage because you'd only use the GSM part of the network)... so I'd really suggest you invest in a local phone here and use the network properly. You can get some really good phones for a good price, such as the Moto G on a Koodo plan or Nexus 5 directly from Google. In that case you could consider Koodo again too and be part of our awesome community here 😃
Hasan Khan wrote:

Thank you Jorden and Sophia. I guess I have my answer. Yes the HSPA frequencies dont match. I hav...

Yup. Wouldnt want to leave since koodo has the best plans. Thanks Sophia. I guess I will have to part with some dollars after all. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hasan Khan wrote:

Good choice 🙂 You'll end up having a nice, modern phone so you won't part with your $$$ for nothing. AND you get to stay with Koodo, good news all around 🙂
Userlevel 7
Not to play devil's advocate here, but to be honest, Rogers does have a sweet $35 Unlimited Nationwide talk and text plan (no data) SIM-only/no contract plan if you can survive without data... but if you want to take advantage of the HSPA network, data is the way to go. I wouldn't bother with them. Definitely look into getting a proper quad band HSPA phone with Koodo, like the Q5, Moto G, or Desire 601 on Tab S and the Nexus 4 or S III on Tab M. Don't bother with the Ace II X or S4; they're opposite ends of the spectrum: one is very cheap but also very slow/laggy, the other one is a great phone but overpriced, considering the S III is just as good but is considerably less expensive.
Thank you Jonathan for laying out the choices. Great help.