Koodo Community
Solved

Personal electrical interference?

• 28 January 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3

I have an Samsung A51 on every call incoming or outgoing, after 10 or so minutes the other person begins to get an echo of my conversation, on my end the phone intermittently cuts out, sometimes for so long that the other person hangs up thinking we’ve been disconnected. Fortunately, I have a landline and am able to switch to that line. But this also happens when away from my home network. But here’s the strange part: if I don’t hold the device, but set it down and use the speaker it doesn’t happen. At this point, I’m ready to embrace the Apple family and trade in this phone on an iPhone, a pity as with the help of this wonderful community I’ve come to more about this phone than any of the others I’ve owned.

Any one have any thoughts on what is disrupting my signal?

Thank to Rikkster for your suggestion on networks anchoring. 

icon

Best answer by rikkster 28 January 2021, 10:24

You will lose voice-over-LTE (VoLTE) connectivity, which is supposed to improve call quality. Worth trying as this may resolve the echo and intermittent calling issues. 

In a previous post, you mentioned you were on the twentieth floor. It’s possible the tower that services your area might be behind your building. A cell tower map can give you a rough idea as to which tower services the area. You can view the cell tower map from a web browser or download the app. You can filter results for TELUS only by unchecking the other wireless provider boxes.

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html - web browser

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.ertyu.towerlocator - app 

Apart from my collection of Android devices, I have an iPhone or two and I’m pretty sure a few other Mobile Masters have them as well. We can help with iPhone if need be.

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Did the problem ever follow with putting the Sim in another phone? This isn't a normal problem endemic to android.

Userlevel 3

I do have another phone, but due to a problem I had with it not connecting to a roaming network and fearing a virus I am reluctant to put a SIM into it if I plan on using that SIM in an unaffected phone. So it functions solely within my home network. This reception problem I’ve had from the start, and have tried the various suggestions from the community. I’m willing to concede I may have a lemon phone. Out of the billions produced, one has to expect a few wrinkles. I got it at one of those kiosks in a mall, when I was desperate for a connection that was, coincidently, also due to a reception problem albeit of a different form.

What happens if I turn off the “use VoLTE wherever possible “ setting?

Badge +4

You will lose voice-over-LTE (VoLTE) connectivity, which is supposed to improve call quality. Worth trying as this may resolve the echo and intermittent calling issues. 

In a previous post, you mentioned you were on the twentieth floor. It’s possible the tower that services your area might be behind your building. A cell tower map can give you a rough idea as to which tower services the area. You can view the cell tower map from a web browser or download the app. You can filter results for TELUS only by unchecking the other wireless provider boxes.

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html - web browser

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.ertyu.towerlocator - app 

Apart from my collection of Android devices, I have an iPhone or two and I’m pretty sure a few other Mobile Masters have them as well. We can help with iPhone if need be.

Userlevel 3

I downloaded the tower locator and found it fascinating. I have four Telus towers on my side of the building. The map that comes with it is easier to read than my car GPS. I have turned off my LTE setting to see if that helps . Nope that didn’t work for more than five minutes, though it did clear up when I put the phone down and turned on speaker. 

I wonder if a different case would help, shield it from me. Is that the  twilight zone theme song I hear.?

Userlevel 3

I'm becoming acquainted with the interconnection between apple devices, and beginning to understand why apple users get very attached to their devices and collect more.