Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Octa-Core or 2 Quad-Cores?

Userlevel 6
A quick tech question for you guys, which do you think is better and why? a Phone with an Octa-core processor, or a phone with 2 Quad-core Processors?

4 replies

Userlevel 6
It can't be compared directly, Jru. We'll use the MT6592 as an example. This is the octa-core that's in the Alcatel OneTouch Idol X+. All 8 cores in this SoC are ARMv7. It's a bit like having twice the MotoG's guts going at it all at once. However, given the current state of apps, many can't use more than 2-4 cores. Some heavy benchmarks have used 5, and that was it. So as it is [i]right now, it's nice to have but not much can use it. And ARMv7 cores are from the past, so while still nice, nothing cutting edge there. Octa Exynos SoCs use a different approach with their big.LITTLE technology. They use low-power ARMv7 cores, sometimes ARMv53, and keep the ARMv57 (or ARMv15) stuff for the big work. This allows them to save battery life and get things moving for heavy tasks when needed. 2 different beasts for different tastes. The thing is, though, both will work good enough for *most* users. Me? I like me some Snapdragon 800/801/805 stuff 😃 Get a little read here: http://www.itproportal.com/2012/10/31/arm-cortex-a57-and-a53-vs-cortex-a8-a9-a15-and-a7-a-performance-analysis/
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

It can't be compared directly, Jru. We'll use the MT6592 as an example. This is the octa-core...

Great explanation David. Just to add don't let the # of cores lead you to thinking that more cores means the device will perform better than a device with less cores. For example the Alcatel with the octa core Koodo sells some might think should out perform the Galaxy S5 that Koodo sells since it only has a quad core but this is not the case at all and infact the Galaxy S5 with the quad core blows the Alcatel out of the water in real life performance. This is due to the brand of processors and the way they've been built which IMO mediatek which the Alcatel uses are terrible and run like they have half the cores or less in comparison to a Snapdragon processor or Exynos processor. I'm with David and I really like the Snapdragon series of procesors but amrreally excited to get some hands on time with the new Tegra K1 that is said tobbe used in the new Nexus Tablet made by HTC that's coming very soon with the release of the new Android version, Android L which will be a huge advancement in graphic performance with everything being optimized for 64 bits. It's going to be like going from a Playstation to a Playstation 3 or PC quality graphics and it's going to be a very exciting advancement in the mobile tech time line.
Userlevel 6
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

It can't be compared directly, Jru. We'll use the MT6592 as an example. This is the octa-core...

The T4 K1 is an absolute beast, it just obliterates everything (until something else comes along, lol). Agreed with Paul!
Userlevel 6
Awesome guys, thanks for the answers!