Koodo Community
Solved

Number appears as old owners name

• 30 September 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi there, I have a Koodo phone that I’ve had since last November.

From day one I’ve been getting the previous owner of the number’s debt collectors as well as people looking for drugs and him.

I blocked many of the numbers,  but they still keep finding me. For the last three weeks I’ve been getting calls 3 times daily for Brandon Wicks, and when I tell the collectors this isn’t his number and hasn’t been for nearly a year, they continue to call.

I was woundering why this keeps happening and I called a friend who didn’t have my new number and the caller ID came up as him. There are services online where debt collectors can search a person’s name and when you search his name, it comes up connected to my number so it’s not just a problem with my friend’s phone. 

Why is my number listed as Brandon Wicks, and how can I change it? Why isn’t the number I’m paying for listed as my name and why wouldn’t this be changed when I bought the new phone and number?

I don’t intend to come off rude, but its been a pain in the arse since last November, but now people are calling me and interrupting business calls for the magazine I’m starting and I don’t have the time to spend waiting on hold on the phone. Is there anything anyone can do about this?

icon

Best answer by Dennis 30 September 2020, 22:46

Phone numbers get reused.  If you inform debt collectors, these calls typically subside over time.  If this is truely a huge issue for you, then your only other option would be to change your number via self serve. 

Koodo also does not send out the name info for call display.  Phones like Samsungs use a 3rd party to determine the name of phone number and their list may be out of date.  The not not much Koodo can do about that.

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/call-display#:~:text=Call%20Display%2B%20shows%20you%20the,with%20a%20compatible%20mobile%20phone.

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Phone numbers get reused.  If you inform debt collectors, these calls typically subside over time.  If this is truely a huge issue for you, then your only other option would be to change your number via self serve. 

Koodo also does not send out the name info for call display.  Phones like Samsungs use a 3rd party to determine the name of phone number and their list may be out of date.  The not not much Koodo can do about that.

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/call-display#:~:text=Call%20Display%2B%20shows%20you%20the,with%20a%20compatible%20mobile%20phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’m sure you can go to that 3rd party and correct the name that’s being showed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I would suggest you change your number. We went through the same as yourself 15 years ago (reused number) and it took many, many years before all the nuisance calls finally stopped.

When I got my own cell number I made sure to pick one from an area code that was just released and never had any issues.

In retrospect we regret that we persevered with that first number. It just wasn't worth it and we should have just changed it.

They said obviously it's your choice, but if you aren't truly attached to the number, you might just want to decide to change it. Besides you might get to pick a really nice number 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I would suggest you change your number. We went through the same as yourself 15 years ago (reused number) and it took many, many years before all the nuisance calls finally stopped.

When I got my own cell number I made sure to pick one from an area code that was just released and never had any issues.

In retrospect we regret that we persevered with that first number. It just wasn't worth it and we should have just changed it.

They said obviously it's your choice, but if you aren't truly attached to the number, you might just want to decide to change it. Besides you might get to pick a really nice number 😊

I got a great number.  I wasnt ever gonna let that go.  I toughed it out for 3 years before all the nuisance calls naturally stopped.  But all i had to deal with are debt collector.  At least by previous deadbeat wasnt a criminal

Userlevel 6

Hi Lady Azimuth,

I had the same problem. I was receiving calls from Collection Agencies continuously for the previous holder of my number. I eventually kept track of how many times I told them I didn’t know the person and to stop calling me.  I live in Ontario. The Ontario Regulations for Debt Collectors states “ 

(5) No collection agency or collector shall,

(a) collect or attempt to collect a debt from a person who the collection agency or collector knows or reasonably ought to know is not liable for the debt; or

(b) contact or attempt to contact a person for the purpose of collecting a debt if the person has informed the collection agency or collector that the person is not who the collection agency or collector intends to contact, unless the collection agency or collector first takes all reasonable precautions to ensure that the person is, in fact, who the collection agency or collector intends to contact.  O. Reg. 103/06, s. 2.

I sent an email to Consumers Affairs, with all the info I had on the Collection Agency, the number of times and when they called  and all of my personal information. I had a phone call from Consumer Affairs that the calls would stop and they did. This doesn’t stop calls from anyone else. 

They post a Complaint Form on their website. FYI I didn’t use this form, I sent a detailed email. 

https://www.consumerbeware.mgs.gov.on.ca/esearch/compform/english/complaint.jsp