Koodo Community

No service again, Bon Echo this time

• 6 September 2021
  • 5 replies

A couple months ago wife's phone no service at Charleston Lake not far off the 401.  This time no service at Bon Echo park.  Tech support advised (once I finally got someone in the phone when home) that the service is poor at Charleston Lake.  Guess it's the same at Bon Echo as I note an earlier similar post.  Funny though my cheap Google phone running on Fizz works flawlessly at both campsites!  No idea who Fizz roams on but it sure works better than wife's Koodo networked iPhone.  Just an observation.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

A couple months ago wife's phone no service at Charleston Lake not far off the 401.  This time no service at Bon Echo park.  Tech support advised (once I finally got someone in the phone when home) that the service is poor at Charleston Lake.  Guess it's the same at Bon Echo as I note an earlier similar post.  Funny though my cheap Google phone running on Fizz works flawlessly at both campsites!  No idea who Fizz roams on but it sure works better than wife's Koodo networked iPhone.  Just an observation.

I am not surprised by that. If you look at the cell tower coverage map, you will see there is only one cell tower in the area. It is owned by Rogers. There are no cell towers owned by Bell. I guess Fizz roams on Rogers, which is why the service is relatively better than your wife’s phone on the Koodo network. https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

The same thing applies to Charleston Lake. The nearest cell tower in the area is owned by Rogers. The one owned by Bell is much further away. 

Makes sense.  I'm sure all providers have their "issues" with coverage.  Seems almost comical though that my $380 phone on a network that costs me $10/month less than my wife's seems to always work and hers doesn't.

And I understand that Fizz(owned by Videotron) roams  on Rogers, Telus and Bell as needed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Makes sense.  I'm sure all providers have their "issues" with coverage.  Seems almost comical though that my $380 phone on a network that costs me $10/month less than my wife's seems to always work and hers doesn't.

It’s not an issue with the network per se. The thing is that they do not have a cell tower nearby. That would either mean your wife will have no signal at all, or at best, a poor connection. Since Rogers has a cell tower in the area, it’s most likely going to lead to better reception. Given that you are using Fizz and are able to roam on Rogers, it will definitely lead to better results. It has nothing to do with your phone.

There will always be certain areas where you will get better coverage and other areas where your wife will get a better signal. It just happens that you were in an area covered by Rogers and not Bell and Telus.

Agreed however our recent experiences comparing coverage/signal between Telus/Koodo and my recent change to Fizz has demonstrated that Fizz seems to not go "no service" as often as Koodo.  We hiked for 9 days in the Banff area and more often than not the Fizz phone worked when the Koodo phone didn't.  Many times neither phone would have no service but often Fizz would come back to life and the Koodo phone wouldn't connect.  I'm commenting based on our experiences comparing the two networks and based on our experiences of late, Fizz seems to work better, for less money.   That is all.