Koodo Community
Question

No 4G Network with new ZTE WF723 Home Phone Hub

My new ZTE WF723 is not getting  4G network with new SIM card provided by the store. [just getting 3G]

But, I put in my cellphone SIM card in  it and hub gets 4G.

Is this a SIM card issue or is the home phone hub  cell number restricted to 3G?

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The ZTE WF723 doesn’t have any 3G/4G indicator. How did you know it was connected to 3G/4G?

WHP devices don’t support VoLTE feature. Call (in/out) are going through their 3G network. Even if it connects to a 4G network, when there is a call, it would switch to 3G anyway.

[1] This unit does  indicate  which - 3G vs 4G - is connected.  This hub does it on the display  by the colours of the bars - orange for 3G & green for 4G  and describes this in the manual.

[2] Why does Koodo Wireless Home Phone Plan advertise / offer an add on for voLTE  if WHP don’t support it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

1.Interesting find !. I don’t think my older ZTE unit ever had that LTE/UMTS coloring.

2.Where did you see Koodo advertised the WHP had VoLTE? Their official VoLTE devices list doesn’t include it https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/voLTE

When I was trying to look up info on this issue, looking at home phone plan _ under View Rate Plan>Manage add-ons, there is an add-on for voLTE . 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

When I was trying to look up info on this issue, looking at home phone plan _ under View Rate Plan>Manage add-ons, there is an add-on for voLTE . 

Can you take a snapshot of the add-on available on your WHP plan? (hide/delete all personal information before posting pls).

As you can check the Koodo VoLTE device list, it is the device that had restriction. If your device are not on the list, even if your plan had VoLTE supported, your phone would still switch to 3G/UMTS for calls.

SCREENSHOT

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Ok, I thought it was a special add-on for WHP but it was just a generic add-on for anyplan. Was it added at the time of activation or later by a rep when you added the longdistance add-on? What did they say? You could also put the whp sim in another phone and see if the sim can enable volte on that device. 

As I mentioned earlier, Volte feature is determined by the devices that you were using. If it isn't on the list, you are out of luck. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Honestly I think that add-on was accidentally left in when they adopted wireless home phone.  it should only pertain to normal phone plans only and the wireless home phone is only runs on 3G/HSPA+

I  can't help with any other answers.

But what I don't understand is why can't Koodo step up to the mic and provide clarity on this?

I thought this device was voLTE .

All i know is the hub does show connection to 4G when I tried using  the SIM from my cell phone (different plan) in place of the home phone plan SIM.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

But what I don't understand is why can't Koodo step up to the mic and provide clarity on this?

All i know is the hub does show connection to 4G when I tried using  the SIM from my cell phone (different plan) in place of the home phone plan SIM.

Aside from seeing it as an add-on in self serve (which you wouldnt see until you already subscribed to the service) what would give you the impression that wireless home phone uses VoLTE? 

Regular cellphones have only recently been able to use VoLTE with Koodo. And the benefits are primarily the Simultaneous use of voice and LTE data which wouldnt be applicable for a home phone.  

Basically for regular cellphones, previously, data was carried over LTE when you weren't on a voice call. If you were on a voice call, then your data was transmitted using the slower 3G speeds. Now, with VoLTE, your data will be carried over LTE even when you’re on a voice call.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Can you put the other SIM into the zte device (that had green signal light) and make a call? The device should switch to yellow (3G) when you are talking If it isn't compatible with volte. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I really don't see what the advantage of using VoLTE with the WHP would be. You still need to plug a standard phone into it, and the microphones and speakers on those only have a frequency range of about 300-3400Hz, since that's all the POTS phone system was designed to carry. You wouldn't get improved clarity even if the device supported VoLTE.