Koodo Community

Community

Solved

New phone same number, different account holder

Hi, I just received my new phone from koodo and I want to activate it and have the same number from my previous provider.

Problem is, my previous provider has my phone under my dad since I didn't have a credit card/drivers license at the time when I registered for it. 

Koodo can transfer the same number to my new phone, by "telling my current provider that I'm cancelling my membership".

Will I need my dad to complete the transfer?

Or do I need to go to my previous provider and tell them to change the account holder to me instead of my dad, then complete the transfer process via Koodo?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I believe you just request a port of that number yourself through Koodo and your previous account with old provider will just cancel and your dad should see that on his bill
Userlevel 7
Chadwick wrote:

I believe you just request a port of that number yourself through Koodo and your previous account...

You'll need your dad's account pin and password to do the port. As Chad said, the port out will cancel the line on your dad's account.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chadwick wrote:

I believe you just request a port of that number yourself through Koodo and your previous account...

While you might be able to move the number without too much difficulty as Chadwick & Chad have mentioned, your own last comment is closest to the reality of the situation. At the moment you are asking that your dad's phone (which you use as your own) be ported to an account in your name. The process should be that your dad and you arrange a transfer of ownership of the account at your current carrier, then you have carte blanch to port the number (now yours) as you please.

As I said, you may be able to port it without transfer of ownership, but if you run into problems, a Transfer of Ownership should smooth things.