Koodo Community

Community

Solved

New phone needed???

Today I took my phone to the Koodo dealer in the mall as I have been "leaking" data for four days. (this is the way the Koodo rep. explained it).... I have had the phone reset and everything wiped from my phone to try to fix the data leak problem. Koodo has charged me $50 for the extra data and when I contacted them by telephone to discuss the overage, they told me that they can't make any corrections to my bill until after my billing date (February 27). I am very concerned about these additional charges and the data leak. The rep at the Koodo dealer couldn't guarantee that this phone reset would solve the issue. Has anyone experienced this problem and if so, did it require you to get a new phone?

7 replies

Userlevel 2
It seems to me that you had an app that was using a lot of background data. Generally, a factory reset of the phone will get rid of the offending app, but this won't prevent your phone from using data. If you do not have data included in your plan, then you will want to disable data on your phone to prevent these additional data charges. What phone do you have?
I have the Nokia 610 and I have a data plan. I have no additional aps on the phone other than what it had on it when I bought it. I deleted everything other than what was on it when I bought it. I turned off the data plan on Thursday night according to the instructions provided by a tech person on this site. I still managed to use data both yesterday and today until Koodo finally locked me out after using an additional $50 worth of data... I am not sure what $50 of data amounts to, but I anticipate quite a large amount of downloading and the phone was turned off...
Userlevel 2
The only other reason I can think of is that your phone is attempting to download an update to the OS with your data connection. If so, you should connect your phone to a WiFi network and complete the update over WiFi.
Userlevel 5
More curious here but how much data do you have in your plan, and what do you use your phone for other than calling and texting?
Jorden wrote:

More curious here but how much data do you have in your plan, and what do you use your phone for ...

Jorden I have 250MB of data on my plan. I only use the phone for texting and phone purposes, but I had downloaded about 4 games... when this all began to happen, I deleted everything I had downloaded.
Userlevel 6
Phones don't just leak data. 🙂 something is definitely using it. Phone also come with lot s apps nowadays. Check your browsing history on your phone, it may give you an answer. It simple to shut data off your phone if you don't want to use it at all, just go to your settings and turn it off.
Chris Petersens wrote:

Phones don't just leak data. 🙂 something is definitely using it. Phone also come with lot s ap...

I have turned off the data plan and won't be able to reconnect that until my next billing cycle begins on the 27th of February.