Koodo Community
Question

NEW CONTRACT PHONE ACCOUNT SHOWN AS CREDIT CARD IN Credit Bureau Report

I am new to Canada. Reached on November 24.I have taken Iphone6s phone on contract base at walmart on November 26 with Koodo network with 0 down payment.When i went to bank for credit card apply they have pulled the credit report ,In report the koodo account is shown as credit card in the report and the first bill as amount.Because of this my credit card is not approved.I talked with Koodo customer care several times but the issue is not solved.

29 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@Bhargavi.K Hmmmm....not sure what you mean. We don't have a credit card business so if that's what on the credit report it's wrong. We do require a credit check for opening up a monthly plan. We also report late payments, as required by regulators, so there could be other activity the credit bureaus saw.
How to correct the report and who can do that..Becauase of this i am struggling from a month to get the credit card.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Does the credit report say you have an over due bill?

WHen did you pay your bill?
When you login to self serve do you see your most recent pdf ebill?
Why koodo account number is showing up as credit card?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bhargavi.K wrote:

How to correct the report and who can do that..Becauase of this i am struggling from a month to get the credit card.

What specifically did the report say was the problem?
it is not showing any overdue bill.I paid amount on december 26 and there is no overdue bill.
Koodo account is showing as type credit card and number is my account number
Amount:#173$
Type:Credit Card
November 26
Number :3511#
This is how credit report shown.

Account number mentioned in report is same as my Koodo account number

As credit bureau says i have credit card already Bank team is not able to provide me the credit card.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bhargavi.K wrote:

November 26

As credit bureau says i have credit card already Bank team is not able to provide me the credit card.

Did you buy something for $173? Do you remeber that transaction?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Bhargavi.K wrote:

November 26

Did you buy something for $173? Do you remeber that transaction?

Or was your Koodo Bill $173 and you paid it with a credit or Visa debit, prepaid Visa card, etc.?
it is my first koodo bill amount which got generated on Dec5. That bill amount also wrong.I called customer care and corrected the bill to 118 and paid the amount before due date.I paid the last month bill on Dec26.
If it is bill then why it is showing as credit product of type Credit Card.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bhargavi.K wrote:

it is my first koodo bill amount which got generated on Dec5. That bill amount also wrong.I called customer care and corrected the bill to 118 and paid the amount before due date.I paid the last month bill on Dec26.

How did you pay this bill? If you pay on the due date it could be a late payment as it may take a few days for the payment to process
i payed before the due date using my visa debit card.The issue is not with the payment.The entry in the credit report was showing with november 26 the date i have taken the koodo connection
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bhargavi.K wrote:

How did you pay for your bill when you paid it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I guess what you are saying is you applied for a creditcard and they pulled a credit check on you. https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-consumer-agency/services/credit-reports-score/understand-credit-report.html

In the report, whenever you have a bill with a phone carrier (postpaid) or banks, that information will show in the credit report. It doesn't mean it is good/bad, they are posted there. If you pay, they will report as paid. if you didn't pay, they will report as late or non payment.

I would suggest you ask what was the reason for the denial of the credit card. Was it because of the low credit score or something else?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
So the issue is the date? Is the date preventing your credit card application from getting through?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dinh wrote:

I guess what you are saying is you applied for a credit and they pulled a credit check on you. https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-consumer-agency/services/credit-reports-score/understand-credit-report.html

In the report, whenever you had a bill with a phone carrier (postpaid) or banks, that information will show in the credit report. It doesn't mean it is good/bad, they are posted there. If you pay, they will report as paid. if you didn't pay, they will report as late or non payment.

I would suggest you ask detail what was the reason for the denial of the credit card. Was it because of the low credit score or something else?

Omg that makes so uch more sense. I didn't even think of that as a credit check
it is showing as Credit card opened on November 26 with number (Koodo ACCCOUNT number).

Reason for credit card denial is:As i am new to canada,i can have only one credit card .As credit report showing i have other credit credit card they are not able to proceed
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
How did you pay you Koodo bill?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Do you have a copy of the actual credit report? or screenshot of it? (hide all personal information before posting)

How did you pay for the Koodo bill? did you use your credit card to pay?
I don't have credit report with me.Bank person shown me the the credit report on her screen.

I have done my first bill payment using TD visa debit card
Userlevel 6
@Bernard Koodo what does Koodo classify the tab loan as, from a credit bureau reporting standpoint? I would think it is effectively a personal loan with 2 year term? Or is it treated like a line of credit/credit line perhaps? I could see how having basically any other open revolving credit might be an issue for someone with no [Canadian] credit history trying to open a credit card.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@srlawren Imtersting thoughts but the tab seem to have nothing to do with case here.
@Bhargavi.K Sounds like the credit bureau maybe thinking that you have a credit card. I would make sure they don’t confuse that with a credit card for some reason.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bhargavi.K wrote:

I don't have credit report with me.Bank person shown me the the credit report on her screen.

I have done my first bill payment using TD visa debit card

Koodo account is likely listed as an Account in your credit report. They will report the amount, the date of your bill, due date and payment date (If you don't pay, that amount is likely reported also). I don't think it was listed as a credit card account.

Eligibility to have another credit based on your credit history. I would suggest you check back with your bank in later date. You could also request credit report from Transunion https://www.transunion.ca/ or equifax https://www.consumer.equifax.ca/
Koodo is not listed as account it is listed as credit card.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bhargavi.K wrote:

Koodo is not listed as account it is listed as credit card.

Well, then you need a proper proof (screenshot or a printout of the report) I would suggest you contact the bank or the credit bureau to confirm.