Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Network differences between Koodo, Public Mobile, and Telus?

Userlevel 2
Rather than posters speculating, is there any published public literature stating what, if any differences there are between the main Telus brand and it's flanker brands like Public Mobile and Koodo?

For example, it's been demonstrated in some locations, all things being equal with the same device and model where a Telus subscriber has cellular service and the Koodo or Public Mobile subscriber does not.

I don't think it would be unreasonable if premium subscribers have full access to cellular towers including services like VoLTE and those who pay less have some network features and channels blocked or restricted in favor of Telus subscribers?

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

it's been demonstrated in some locations, all things being equal with the same device and model where a Telus subscriber has cellular service and the Koodo or Public Mobile subscriber does not

I want to see proper evidence. Even on the same network, 2 devices of the same type could lock in different towers.
Userlevel 2
[quote=Dinh]

it's been demonstrated in some locations, all things being equal with the same device and...

Side by side in a remote location where it's only possible to lock onto one repeater?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
[quote=Dinh]

it's been demonstrated in some locations, all things being equal with the same device and...

Please share your evidence, photos, methods & results..
Userlevel 2
[quote=Dinh]

I did not take pictures. What kind of evidence are you looking for? 
Both devices were side-by-side. One was using Koodo the other Telus. The Koodo device had "No Service" the Telus device had 3 bars. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
[quote=Dinh]

That simple test could be translated into many results: 1. Telus is active 2. koodo is out of service, closed account; 1. Telus got software update, no  obstruction, 2 Koodo don't have latest, got some obstruction...

In a proper test, I would expect you to take out key information on the network strength (from iphone field test mode) and carrier settings on both devices. I would also change SIM and see if the results are similar. Both phones should be put on the same network exposures.
Userlevel 2
[quote=Dinh]

In iOS 10, access to field test mode has been removed. So we can't use any data from that. In iOS 11, the dB strength has been completely removed from iPhones (like mine).

I think realistically, the probability of 2. Koodo being inactive is very low, the account being closed 0, Telus got a software update 50% but having it affect a common location would be ~0, Koodo having an obstruction 0 if Koodo is using the same unrestricted tower/repeater?  

However, there might be a possibility the cellular radio in one iPhone might be flaky compared to the other which is on Telus. Having said that, that too would be unlikely in this situation because when manually searching for a carrier, Telus, Bell and EXT were the only carriers detected by the Koodo iPhone. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
[quote=Dinh]

Did you change the SIM card between phones?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
[quote=Dinh]

I would recommend using the same phone with both SIMs. If it' still the case then I would say that you found an exception.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
[quote=Dinh]

I would recommend using the same phone with both SIMs. If it' still the case then I would say that you found an exception.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
[quote=Dinh]

The permanent signal bar is gone, but when you are in field test mode*3001#12345#*, you still can go to TLE --> serving cell info, where you can see lots of info on the the current tower

I am on ios 11.0.3 and still can see that mode
Userlevel 2
[quote=Dinh]

You're right!  I had the above code saved as a favorite on my phone and with Rogers it was blocked. It works again!!!
Userlevel 6
They operate on the exact same network, with no restrictions. There may be FEATURE differences such as VoLTE, however. Unless you are testing in the exact same location with the EXACT SAME DEVICE, signal tests won’t be valid.
Userlevel 2
Techjunkie wrote:

They operate on the exact same network, with no restrictions. There may be FEATURE differences su...

Do you have any evidence to state that there are no network restrictions? The competition has even gone so far to say that Koodo, Chatr, Virgin, don't have the same coverage as the premium carriers despite sharing towers. 

Why the discrepancy then? ie. Koodo did not have service, Telus did in the same location, side-by-side in remote location? 

I am thinking that Telus might not give Koodo access to all the same channels on the same tower/enhancer/repeater therefore they are being restrictive?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Techjunkie wrote:

They operate on the exact same network, with no restrictions. There may be FEATURE differences su...

I've talked to Telus reps before who have told me Koodo and Telus share everything with no restrictions.
Userlevel 2
Techjunkie wrote:

I think the Telus Reps in the Philippines don't know what they're talking about. For example, Telus has VoLTE and other network features Koodo does not. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Techjunkie wrote:

Having a feature enables does not change anything to the coverage in that particular area. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Techjunkie wrote:

@Dwayne, Cory has given the most precise answer above....including the statement re VoLTE. At least at this point.  
Userlevel 6
Telus, Koodo, and Public share the same network. The only factor it may change data speed is dependant on the frequency one phone is using from another phone. The best way to test this will be to have an android phone manually configured to use the same frequency, same model, and speedtested at the same time. The only feature right now that is only available to Telus is VoLTE.
Userlevel 2
Erwin wrote:

Telus, Koodo, and Public share the same network. The only factor it may change data speed is depe...

Jan Hope said it well. Does Telus prioritize access to their towers?  Should be the name of this thread.  
Userlevel 4
Hey to All,

They share the same network. The question is for example if Bell in Ontario don't prioritize access to its towers for Bell customers. Someone in Bell Store told me that they do.

I went to Tobermory and Bruce Pninsula National Park this summer and someone on Bell had connection almost everywhere in this area and even 3G data working and my phone was constantly disconnecting from network and finally lost total connection. I don't know why before I was disconnected I had some voice messages if I want to connect to AT&T.

Regarding data Telus/Koodo/PM share the same network with a exception to 3G plans on PM that have chatr like speeds. Chatr only offer 3G speeds.

I forgot to add that it is up to Koodo to implement VoLTE. They've had go ahead from Telus long time ago. I think it is not a priority for Koodo at this moment that is why it is probably on back burner at this moment.
Userlevel 2
Jan Hope wrote:

Hey to All,

They share the same network. The question is for example if Bell in Ontario don't pr...

Well put Jan,

I imagine PM probably had the go-ahead from Telus as well.
Userlevel 4
Jan Hope wrote:

Hey to All,

They share the same network. The question is for example if Bell in Ontario don't pr...

@Dwayne_888

Koodo is always the first. PM wish to have VoLTE but I think it may not happen soon for them if ever.