Koodo Community

Community

Solved

My phone crashed and isn't responding after and update what do i do?

Hi, my samsung galaxy mega did an automatic update yesterday and the phone is now stuck on the "Samsung Galaxy Mega" Start up screen. I tried doing a battery pull, and a hard reset but nothing is working. What are my options? I am on my 6th month of a 3 year contract. Can I bring it in and get a new phone? I am stuck without any way to communicate and it is frustrating

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Did you try to clear up cache Nikoli? Pull your battery out to make sure the phone isn't powered up. Then, put the battery back in. Do not turn the phone back on at this point. Hold the VolumeUp key AND the Home button simultaneously. While holding both of them down, press and hold the Power button until the screen lights up. Once it does, let go of the Power button, but keep the 2 other ones pressed down. Once you get into recovery, clear your cache, and choose "reboot". It's worth a try! Also, please note that if it does work, the first boot following a cache clearing will take a bit longer than usual. Subsequent reboots will be normal.
Hey Dave, I tried what you said but same thing is happening. When i press the three buttons and release the power button after the screen lights up it says "system rebooting" in blue with some code in yellow. Shortly after if goes to a screen saying "installing system update" with the android robot doing its thing. Once this finishes the screen goes blank, the phone vibrates and then goes back to the samsung mega logo screen. Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help
Userlevel 6
[i][...] it says "system rebooting" in blue with some code in yellow [...] This is the actual recovery mode Nikoli. The yellow text is the list of options you can choose from. One of them should read "Clear Cache" or "Wipe Cache" Press VolumeUp or VolumeDown until it's highlighted, then press the Power button on the side of the phone. It will proceed to clear your cache partition. Then navigate to the "Reboot" option, press Power again, and the phone will restart, hopefully in a normal fashion this time. Is this what you did the first time around? EDIT: Just by the way Nikoli, you're on Tab capped at 24 months, not on a 3yr contract :oP When the Galaxy Mega came out last summer, Koodo had already switched to the 24 month Tab system. Because of this, you're on the 24 month max new Tab system!
I retries what you say but still having the same problem. The blue text actually says "Recovery Booting..." and immediately below it says "set warranty bit: recovery" in yellow. I cannot scroll up or down by using the volume button as it immediately goes to the "installing system update" screen with the android... and then back to the Samsung galaxy mega screen.
Userlevel 6
Hmm.. Well, my very own personal solution would be to install custom recovery and redo everything from scratch, but you won't like me if I tell you to do that, lol! So, let's keep things in perspective. Do you have Samsung Kies installed on your computer?
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

Hmm.. Well, my very own personal solution would be to install custom recovery and redo everythin...

what do u have to do to redo everything mines doing the samething
Yes i do. I kind of already know what i need to do but i hope not. This ph has been bad news from day 1
Userlevel 6
Nikoli Attai wrote:

Yes i do. I kind of already know what i need to do but i hope not. This ph has been bad news from...

At least you're well aware of what's ahead of you, so that's a bonus in a situation like this. I'll give you that, though, it sucks to have to reinstall every app, redo every setting and possibly lose bits of data. Hopefully, you had most of your stuff on the SD card (take it out before factory-flashing your phone). If there's a silver lining in this, it's that Samsungs are quite popular and are almost all identical in the way they function, so the process is well documented and tools to perform the restoring process are widely available. Best of luck!
Nikoli Attai wrote:

Yes i do. I kind of already know what i need to do but i hope not. This ph has been bad news from...

hello i am having the same issue.... but i myself dont know what i need to do. can anyone guide me through it?
Nikoli Attai wrote:

hello i am having the same issue.... but i myself dont know what i need to do. can anyone guide me through it?