Koodo Community
Solved

My cell phone number is still registered as a "home phone" not a "cell phone"

Several years ago I transferred my land-line phone number to my cell phone with Koodo. I’ve had no issues until recently whereby Microsoft can not send a text message security code to my phone number.  I’ve received numerous security codes via text message from other companies, but after several support emails and escalation Microsoft said that my phone number was once a land-line and therefore they can not send text messages to my number.  I think this may be a heighted security approach to prevent spoofing or some such.  They say my only option is to get a new phone number!!

So, the question is whether Koodo can actually set that “flag” on my number so it is seen as a cell phone.  

Anyone else experience something like this?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by dugbot 16 June 2021, 18:56

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Not something I've heard about being an issue before. I've flagged a Rep to be able to answer this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Is your phone number set as a landline at Microsoft? Some companies allow you to choose the type of phone when you sign up, and receive a call to a landline, rather than a text to a cellphone. Maybe the legacy info is attached to Microsoft, rather than Koodo.

Is your phone number set as a landline at Microsoft? Some companies allow you to choose the type of phone when you sign up, and receive a call to a landline, rather than a text to a cellphone. Maybe the legacy info is attached to Microsoft, rather than Koodo.

That’s what I wonder too, but there is nowhere in my Microsoft Account to set this.  It could be that years ago I set my current cell number as a home number.  Microsoft support doesn’t suggest this and indicates it is out of their hands. 

Here’s their comment….

“We appreciate the screenshots that you have provided to us. We understand that you were able to use your phone number to received text messages and you have it for a long time. However our higher level of support investigation, it is possible that the number was once a landline/VOIP and has since been recycled for mobile use by another user, but the system does not recognize the change.

We understand the frustration that can be involved with this specific issue and we imagine our answer was not what you might have been hoping for, especially you need it to access Microsoft Teams. We know that you want us to escalate your case again but even if we escalate your case, they will still provide same resolution because we are not able to resolve this error on our end. That’s why we advise you to use a different phone number instead.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I wonder if you could change it temporarily to another number, and change it back? Have you another family member who’s number you might use temporarily?

Their comment that you could receive texts to your landline is weird, because although you could receive text to voice, it is not texts in the usual fashion.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hello!

If, from our end, the number is set up as a mobile phone line, then it should be recognized as such when being sent text messages containing security codes. Even if the number had, at any point, belonged to a Koodo landline, it still shouldn't make any difference if it’s now a mobile one.  It is possible, however, that Microsoft’s system might work differently, due to heightened security protocols. Do you by any chance have another number active as a subscriber on your Koodo account, that you could use this one time, in order to receive the text with the security code from them?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Which services from Microsoft that required it? I recall some companies can call you if you cannot receive texts or they offer other methodsof authentication. 

I wonder if you could change it temporarily to another number, and change it back? Have you another family member who’s number you might use temporarily?

Their comment that you could receive texts to your landline is weird, because although you could receive text to voice, it is not texts in the usual fashion.

I tried my wife’s number, but she also has a Microsoft account with her phone number listed, so it won’t accept that.   I don’t think they are implying I received texts on my landline. Their wording is a bit odd.

Hello!

If, from our end, the number is set up as a mobile phone line, then it should be recognized as such when being sent text messages containing security codes. Even if the number had, at any point, belonged to a Koodo landline, it still shouldn't make any difference if it’s now a mobile one.  It is possible, however, that Microsoft’s system might work differently, due to heightened security protocols. Do you by any chance have another number active as a subscriber on your Koodo account, that you could use this one time, in order to receive the text with the security code from them?

Originally this was a Shaw land line which I transferred to Koodo mobile in 2018.  I can’t use my wife’s number as it is already in use for her account with Microsoft and I don’t have any other number available.  Her Microsoft account works fine.

Which services from Microsoft that required it? I recall some companies can call you if you cannot receive texts or they offer other methodsof authentication. 

The issue occurs both with my main “Microsoft” account and when trying to use Teams.   Teams requires a mobile phone number but wont accept my number and there is no other option.  With the Microsoft account itself, it just won’t let me add that as my mobile number for authentication purposes but the account itself is still usable for other services, like email, Office 365, etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I don't see a way to fix or bypass this issue. From the Microsoft forums I have searched this need for a phone number as an impasse for a few other users. 

My recommendation is to give up on teams and 7ae another app. 

Another suggestion is to start asking friends anf family who doesn't use teams so that you can use their number. 

Thanks for all the suggestions. It does seem hopeless unless Microsoft broadens their approach for at least the Teams accounts.

Interesting read for the technically minded on the complexity of phone number portability. Seems the original provider still has some “ownership” of the number (in my case Shaw) and I think it is possible Shaw has an entire block of numbers flagged as landline/VOIP, which is how my number originated before becoming a Koodo mobile number.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_number_portability#Technical_issues

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can also try downloading a simple texting app that gives you a free number to use and text from. This may be a simple alternative in the meantime.