Koodo Community
Solved

Multiple SIM cards

I switched 3 of my cell phones to Koodo and received all 3 sim cards at once in the mail. I want to make sure the numbers port over properly to the correct phones but I don’t know which SIM card is which. Do I just insert the first card into either phone and wait to see which one it is and then take it out and put it in the correct phone once the temporary number is taken over by my old number that I’m porting over?

icon

Best answer by Robert T 13 October 2020, 23:54

I think what he meant is that he ported over 3 accounts (probly : mom, dad, kid) into Koodo. I’m not sure if it’s 3 separate emails or not, but I’m not sure it matters. You can see the current SIM number under account information. Maybe that’ll help you sort out which number is which.

View original

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

One at a time sounds like a plan

Thanks @nim4165 I figure it’s a pretty dumb question but I wasn’t sure if I would be able to mistakingly give my sons phone my cell number by accident. I’m a sim card virgin it would seem. So you can literally just move the sims around between phones, at will?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yeah you can do that without any problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you are new customer,then they should have sent you an email how to set up your self serve.

Those SIM cards are pre-activated with temporary number (as a new customer). So go to self serve and port your number from your previous provider.

I'm wondering. You mentioned that " I switched 3 of my cell phones to Koodo and received all 3 sim cards at once in the mail". Is this means you opened 3 different accounts with 3 different emails?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I think what he meant is that he ported over 3 accounts (probly : mom, dad, kid) into Koodo. I’m not sure if it’s 3 separate emails or not, but I’m not sure it matters. You can see the current SIM number under account information. Maybe that’ll help you sort out which number is which.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Since you are a SIM virgin - Cell phone needs to be powered down before removing or installing each SIM

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I know he ported/transfer 3lines to Koodo.

My point was, if they have an account with each different e-mail, it means they will have 3 bills.    If 3 lines under 1 account, they need only 1 email address and they will have 1 bill.  If it's ,say like your example- mom,dad and kid- then it's better if everyone is under 1 account.

If you are a new customer, you can't add lines under 1 account when you open/sign up account through online. That's why I'm wondering.

It does matter for me if my family's lines are under 1 account or I receive 4 separate bills ...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Since you are a SIM virgin - Cell phone needs to be powered down before removing or installing each SIM

Do they? I always did it with the phone on and never had any problems.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Robert T  I guess you were always lucky that none of your SIMs was damaged!  Read any cell manufacturer instructions for removal and installation of SIM cards and point me to ONE that does not include these precautions. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I switched 3 of my cell phones to Koodo and received all 3 sim cards at once in the mail. I want to make sure the numbers port over properly to the correct phones but I don’t know which SIM card is which. Do I just insert the first card into either phone and wait to see which one it is and then take it out and put it in the correct phone once the temporary number is taken over by my old number that I’m porting over?

It depends if the plans are the same on all 3 phones and if all 3 lines are under the same account like @Mayumi said.

If you can provide some more info we can give you a better response

Wow. You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the input. So, yes, it is a Mom, Dad and Son setup. It’s all under one email address, with 3 separate sims/numbers. I’ve taken the first step for self-selve and have my online account enabled and I can see the three lines.

Thanks to @Robert T I now know which SIM card is for each phone! Thanks for that!

So can I just power down the phones one at a time and insert each sim? Or do I need to do something to port my numbers BEFORE I insert the cards? Each sim has a temporary number and I was told when I signed up that I would insert the sim and after a few minutes the temporary number would disappear and the old/original number would then register and I’d be all set. Is this correct or do I need to do something before inserting the sims? Thanks everyone!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you’ve been told that the porting will take place by itself, then no need to do something else. Unless you see the temporary numbers say after 24 hours, then I’d come back here and we’ll show you how to port your numbers.

@Robert T I worry that the sales rep I spoke with may not have known the proper procedure. I placed one of the sims in one of my phones and I’m still seeing the temporary number after about 30 minutes. I will wait a bit longer but probably not 24 hours as I need to get my number back. Can you outline the porting process? Is it the “Manage your phone number” option in Self-Serve?

Still nothing after an hour so I put my old card back in for now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@jayakathewiz Open your self serve account. Are the 3 phone numbers in your account still the temporary koodo assigned numbers or the numbers you have ported from your previous mobile provider?

If the numbers in your self serve account are still the temporary koodo numbers, that means that the porting has not yet completed. If this is the case, you should call your previous mobile provider (porting department) and find out what is holding the port out process.

@nim4165 Yes the three numbers showing in Self serve are the temporary Koodo numbers, not my original numbers I wanted to port. So is it correct that once I insert the card, it should complete the porting process and the temporary number changes to my ported number automatically? And since I already tried this and it didn’t automatically change for me, my previous provider is likely holding up the porting process somehow? Just trying to understand fully. This seems like a flaw in the signup process where this possibility isn’t mentioned to a new user. It was always explained to me as “Just plug the cards in and you’re good to go!”. Thanks  for your help.

@nim4165 Just spoke to a Virgin rep and apparently the port request needs to happen on the Koodo end, at which time Virgin will send me a text message confirming I want to port the number to Koodo. I’m guessing this is the “Manage Your Phone Number” option in Self Serve?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@jayakathewiz  The porting process is explained here. You need to do it for each of the 3 lines via the “Manage Your Phone Number” option in Self Serve

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/moving-your-number-koodo

Good luck!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks to @Robert T was told when I signed up that I would insert the sim and after a few minutes the temporary number would disappear and the old/original number would then register and I’d be all set. Is this correct or 

Porting doesn't happen automatically... You got wrong information.

I mentioned about it above that once you set up your self serve, then you have to start processing of port your number in through self serve.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Then why is it that when you buy a Koodo phone, there’s the option to “bring your own number”? Seems like whether you bring your own number or new number, you would need to make the transfer yourself.

@jayakathewiz, if you need help with the porting, ask away.