Koodo Community

Moving to the US Temporarily

• 27 January 2021
  • 3 replies

I am moving to the states for a year and I’m not sure what I should do for a cell plan.  Does Koodo offer plans that would accommodate this or do I need to look for a US carrier for the next year?  If I have to switch is it possible to keep my current number?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I would look for a US carrier for sure. As for keeping your number, you could port it to a VoIP provider for a one time fee {and forward that to your US number), or a prepaid service like Speakout for a small yearly fee. When you come back you can port it to a plan again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I'd suggest Mint Mobile in the US. They use T Mobile and seem to have among the best prices.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I would look for a US carrier for sure. As for keeping your number, you could port it to a VoIP provider for a one time fee {and forward that to your US number), or a prepaid service like Speakout for a small yearly fee. When you come back you can port it to a plan again.

Install a VoIP app on your phone and call back to Canada very cheaply over wifi if that’s an issue.

Many US carrier plans don’t include call-back to Canada at bargain rates, so research that area carefully