Koodo Community
Question

Moved provinces, is VOiP my best option?

• 23 April 2019
  • 7 replies

I recently moved from MB to QC, I understand I'll need a new number (I now have a QC acct and an MB acct).

I want to keep my MB number tied to my new QC number for the next few months for a smooth switch-over. I no longer want my MB acct however and if I stick with Koodo I'll need to be paying for two accts every month.

Would porting my MB number to a VOiP be my best bet? Anyone else done it? Company suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Be sure that your VoIP service-to-be can handle forwarding SMS... not all of them do. I've been using CallCentric for years. Their call redirection and spam filtering treatments are quite powerful.

Incoming MB calls can just get shunted to your new QC number. If you want to use your old MB number to call out (no long distance charges to anywhere in North America), you can use an open-source app such as Voiper on your phone handset.

Incoming SMS are stored on CallCentric server and forwarded to your new cell number or thru email. The only tricky thing here is that blindly responding to a forwarded SMS from your handset using a standard messaging app replies to CallCentric only, since they are considered the sender.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Technically you will still be paying for 2 accounts. The MB account will just be a VoIP account you will be paying for.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Thanks guys, follow up question, I've never used a VOiP, I understand the principle but for SMS & calling is it only going to be possible to respond with their proprietary app? or will it function as any regular SMS or call?

If you'll be switching to your QC number permanently, then replying to SMS to your MB contacts with your QC number and reminding your contacts of the switch seems to make the most sense - you don't want them continuing to SMS you 'old' number.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Call will be forwarded, but SMS, I think you'll need the app
Thanks guys, follow up question, I've never used a VOiP, I understand the principle but for SMS & calling is it only going to be possible to respond with their proprietary app? or will it function as any regular SMS or call?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yup. Fongo works well. 25 dollars to port but no monthly cost. There's cheap monthly fee (like a few bucks a month) options as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes that would be your best bet. Transfer to VOIP then forward calls to QC number.