Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Moto G Prepaid: Buying from Telus, Virgin or Koodo?

I have a couple questions about the best way for me to get a Moto G prepaid at the best price. It costs $250 at Koodo Mobile Shop, which includes the sim and a $20 signing bonus, so actual cost is $230. I see three options: Option 1: Go to Telus and buy the phone outright for $200, walk over to Koodo Mobile shop and buy a $10 prepaid sim (no need for unlocking). That saves me $20. Option 2: Buy from Virgin for $150, pay $3-5 to unlock it and $10 for the sim. That would save me about $65. Option 3: Because I already have an account (a Nexus 5 on a monthly plan), buy the Moto G at $150 from Koodo and swap it for my Nexus and then buy a pre-paid sim for the Nexus. Then just swap the sims so that I get the Moto on prepaid and the Nexus on post-paid. that would save me $140. Question: Is Option 3 even possible? If so, I am hoping that since I already have an account with a monthly plan that Koodo will just sell me the phone for $150 for use with pre-paid rather than have me go through the rigmarole of switching phones and then swapping sims.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Prepaid sim costs $20 (but includes $20 credit) Go with option 3. Just buy the Moto G through your monthly account. Then just get a prepaid sim and it should work. You shouldnt even need to swap or anything
Woops. Thanks for clarification on cost of the prepaid sim. Still means the Telus phone is $10 cheaper. I don't get it. In any case, I am not clear what you mean by "buy the Moto G through your monthly account." When you buy the phone you either buy it with a monthly plan or prepaid. If you buy it with a monthly plan it is $150. On prepaid it is $250. Since I plan to buy it with prepaid I would pay $250, no? Are you saying that because I already have another phone on a monthly plan that they will sell me the Moto with a prepaid sim for only $150?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
dmendel wrote:

Woops. Thanks for clarification on cost of the prepaid sim. Still means the Telus phone is $10 ch...

It means you go to Koodo and tell them I am on a monthly plan currently and I need to "replace" my phone since I "broke" it. I would like to buy the Moto G out right. They will sell you the Moto G. Tell them you don't need to swap sim cards since you would like to keep your current one. Once that transaction is complete, then on another separate transaction, ask to buy a prepaid sim. Now you have the Moto G for $150 and a prepaid sim for $20. Do not tell them the Moto G is being used for prepaid.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
dmendel wrote:

Woops. Thanks for clarification on cost of the prepaid sim. Still means the Telus phone is $10 ch...

Haha, I like "Do not tell them the Moto G is being used for prepaid." part. 🙂 Or how much tab do you have left on the N5? You can buy the Moto G as an upgrade. To do this, you have to pay off the remaining tab of N5 and buy the Moto G on the new tab ($150). Now you have 2 phones, and you can continue to use N5 on monthly and buy a prepaid sim for Moto G.
Userlevel 2
Be aware that Motorola has announced (for pre-orders right now) a new LTE version of the Moto G. It runs US $219, as opposed to the US$179 for the original non-LTE G. As well as the LTE, it also includes an SD card slot; otherwise the specs seem unchanged. It will be interesting to see what Canadian carriers might carry this, when. I can't tell if they've managed to integrate the "Global" and "US" versions - it apparently will be available in the UK in June, but the US site only lists the "US GSM" variant right now. I might be a little annoyed if I had just paid $150-$200 for my G, but since it was effectively only $50 ($100 in Future Shop credit), I can't complain. Incidentally, Moto is also releasing a "Moto E", sort of an entry-level/3rd-world phone. Dual-core instead of quad, 4.3 inch 540x960 screen, 5MP rear camera but no front-facing camera, 4GB storage + SD. At US$129 might make a nice granny or backup phone.
Userlevel 6
NorthernRaven wrote:

Be aware that Motorola has announced (for pre-orders right now) a new LTE version of the Moto G. ...

MobileSyrup says Rogers and Fido will carry the LTE version of the Moto G, and it will be available on June 17.
Userlevel 2
NorthernRaven wrote:

Be aware that Motorola has announced (for pre-orders right now) a new LTE version of the Moto G. ...

Amazon is calling the Moto G LTE "Universal", and seems to imply it can handle all 5 of the 3G bands. It is only a $40 bump in US list price, but given the subsidies on the non-G that Koodo/Virgin are offering, the original "G" is still a great deal for many people. Also, apparently the $US129 Moto E is going to run $C179 in Canada - they seem to be hosing us!
RE: Moto G LTE "Universal" Will this be an unlocked phone and can it be used with Telus ?
Userlevel 2
Asterix wrote:

RE: Moto G LTE "Universal" Will this be an unlocked phone and can it be used with Telus ?

Rogers/Fido will apparently carry it, for $225 (month-to-month) or $275 (outright). I'd imagine these will be locked. A CBC.ca story implied it will be available unlocked, but gave a price of $225, and no indication of who would sell it, which makes me think they've mixed something up. See this thread for more on Moto pricing.
Buy unlocked from staples for the same price, then you can switch to whoever has the best rate in the future and drop in a local sim when traveling. Current price is: $249
Oh really and i can buy the new sim card from koodo and i dont have to pay extra money for September 12 from chatr but i just wanted to know if i have to pay extra money to get voicemails and text messages too