Koodo Community

Community

More control over data usage with family members under the same account!

I would like to see some more parental control over data usage when the family is under one account! My kids have a data limit of 200 mb, but when they go over it, they can still access the internet and download to the cost of pay-per-use! Then I end up with $700+ bill!! I would like better control over their data usage without suspending their phone completely!

12 replies

Userlevel 3
If your using andriod phone there are apps that will lock data for the device. Like Data lock, i'm sure there are others aswell. i would guess there would be one for iphone as well but i'm not sure.
Userlevel 5
There are a couple ways to keep tabs on data usage, as of right now there is option offered by Koodo to simply stop using data/minutes when you go over your monthly limit. The kids should be getting a text message when they are getting close to going over their data (75%, 95%, and then some after going over as well). I guess one idea is be able to pick what number gets the message? Using self service you can also monitor their data usage. If they are constantly going over why not put a data block on?
Hi Jorden, thank you. The kids do get a text msg when they go over limit, and I have a data limit set on their phones as a reminder, however, they just ignore the warnings and continue using it. I have to threaten to suspend their phone entirely. If there is an option to stop using data only once over the limit, how do I access that on self serve, because I haven't found it yet! How do I do a data block after they've reached their limit? That's what I'm looking for...
Userlevel 5
Tamara Cuff wrote:

Hi Jorden, thank you. The kids do get a text msg when they go over limit, and I have a data limit...

I do believe you would have to call into customer service to have it added (and possibly removed). It takes effect almost immediatly and will shut down all data connections including picture messaging. A few months of that happening when they get close to going over (I wouldn't give them until they hit the limit personally) and hopefully they would get the message 😉. It's just too bad it's not as easy as just adding it on self serve even though it's technically added under the add-ons section of your plan.
Userlevel 4
Tamara Cuff wrote:

Hi Jorden, thank you. The kids do get a text msg when they go over limit, and I have a data limit...

From what I understand, the customers would need to call to have it added but it can be removed in Self Serve.
Tamara Cuff wrote:

Exactly, I would like to see it available on self serve. You are charged a fee every time you call customer service...like $20 or something! That's my idea...they need to allow self serve to be self serve in all areas....if you can do it via calling in, you should be able to do it online....
Tamara Cuff wrote:

Exactly, I would like to see it available on self serve. You are charged a fee every time you call customer service...like $20 or something! That's my idea...they need to allow self serve to be self serve in all areas....if you can do it via calling in, you should be able to do it online....
Userlevel 5
Tamara Cuff wrote:

You shouldn't be charged a fee to do something you can't do online. The fees are there if you call in for something that could be done in self serve.
Userlevel 4
Tamara Cuff wrote:

Koodo will only charge for something that can be done in Self Serve such as plan changes ($10), feature changes ($10), number changes ($25) If there is a function you want on the phone and you cannot do it through Self Serve, Koodo would NOT and should NOT charge you to do it. for the data block, there is no fee to add or remove it by calling in.
Tamara Cuff wrote:

Thanks guys... I hope they don't! I just wish that feature could be done through self serve for parents like me....I'll be calling in every month!
Userlevel 2
Tamara Cuff wrote:

Hey Tamara, I can confirm we do not charge customers for just calling in. A fee is only applied if you were able to do it through Self Serve by opted to have it done by a customer service agent. ________________________ If you see a good answer, give it a star.
Tamara Cuff wrote:

how to I set my phone to show the amount of data used