Koodo Community

Mobilicity should merge with Koodo and turn old Mobilicity locations to Koodo Shops

Userlevel 6
Pending approval from regulatory boards Mobilicity may get acquired by Telus. On press release Telus states that all 150 Mobicility employees will not be let go and Mobilicity will continue its services. I dont know about how everyone feels about this but I think Telus Inc. should just focus on two carriers: Telus Mobility and Koodo Mobile. Adding another carrier on the telus Inc umbrella may complicate things. Is it possible for Mobicility customer to get grandfathered plans with the same zones they are in but considered as Koodo Mobile customers? So whenever they are ready, they can get more advanced rate plans from Koodo. Like honestly, Koodo's plans are really good and they are roaming free, no more zones that feels like prisons. We all know it, the zone plans are dead trap (low revenue on plans) and just makes it expensive to run. This can be proven because all three small carriers (Wind, Mobilicity, and Public Mobile) are all for sale. What is everyones thoughts? I really love Koodo and I think telus inc. should just focus on two carriers than shouldering another dying carrier. Wind will be next to die, I give them 2-5 years to live.

16 replies

Userlevel 1
mattjs wrote:

I hope this doesn't end up going through. I'd like to see more competition in the wireless indus...

Will The new 20 years Rogers, Videotron strike Long-Term network sharing push Telus/Koodo to speed that take over?
Userlevel 1
I think they have to keep the mobilicity name for 5 years as that was one of the conditions the crtc set when they sold off the spectrum in 2009. Next year maybe different. I'm with you in terms just focusing on 2 brands. And that maybe telus' plan as well. Mobilicity customers are likely not the best customers to start with considering how little they pay. Telus may just wanted mobilicity for the extra spectrum nothing else. Who knows......
Userlevel 6
Orascom's Naguib Sawiris once publicly said he regretted investing in the Canadian wireless market (Wind Mobile) because of the way the regulations (CRTC) work in our country. He shed some light on why it's harder than elsewhere to penetrate the Canadian market and generate a decent profit. Nothing to encourage other players to bid on our available spectrum and deploy cell towers and retail outlets. It would take MASSIVE bucks, on a short time scale, to deploy anything remotely comparable to what Robellus have going on right now, and I'm talking solely about coverage here. Videotron is giving it a decent effort in the province of Quebec, with them renting tower space to install their AWS equipment. Although their signal improves a lot all the time, there are just too many blind spots that even their partner network (Rogers) doesn't cover. I know because I tested a SIM from them for a week. In the end, the coverage didn't cut it. Even their rep admitted it when I took the SIM back. Anyone entering Canada, as Wind and Mobilicity (and Public Mobile) found out, is going to go through hell and back to turn a profit, while having to sell services at a lower price to gain any sort of momentum (and credibility). TL;DR: I'd LOVE to see more Canadian wireless competition. It ain't happening.
Userlevel 6
SkAshe wrote:

"get more advanced rate plans from Koodo" You mean with limited mins and limited data all at a...

This is my main gripe. We hear all the time from reps/employees that nobody ever in the history of mankind needs 6GB or more. If nobody uses 6GB, what do carriers fear so much about offering unlimited or large data bucket plans? Those plans would sell at a premium price, yet, it seems, subscribers would barely touch their allotment. That's free money for Koodo right there. Tell me, what company would turn down free money? Nobody talks on the phone 24/7, we all know that. Same for SMS. Yet, we have unlimited talk+text plans, and Canada-wide on top of that. I'll say it again, the reason we have unlimited talk and limited data plans is because right now, at this very moment in time, data is the most valuable (in terms of $/unit) service that carriers sell. Airtime, not so much.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
In any case, wouldn't this idea be better aimed toward Telus rather than Koodo? I don't know how much Telus listens to Koodo (if at all).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
mattjs wrote:

I hope this doesn't end up going through. I'd like to see more competition in the wireless indus...

Either it goes through or Mobilicity goes bankrupt. Either way we lose a cell provider
Userlevel 2
I hope this doesn't end up going through. I'd like to see more competition in the wireless industry, telus acquiring Mobilicity doesn't do that. Funny enough, the CRTC loves to say how much they want more competition as well, but then they go ahead and approve a sale like this. Go figure.
Userlevel 2
mattjs wrote:

Yeah it makes no sense to me. I've continually heard the CRTC make statements about how they want to open up the industry to more competition, blah blah blah, but then they approve this. IMO Bell/Telus/Rogers should be prohibited from buying other carriers in this country, these types of buyouts have created the competition problem we have today, and it's been going on for years. Rogers bought Fido, Bell bought Virgin, Telus wants to buy Mobilicity, the list goes on. I don't know about the government stepping in and buying mobilicity themselves. I'm not a fan personally of state controlled utility providers, but surely something can be done. Maybe provide a loan and subsidies so mobilicity can avoid bankruptcy and expand their coverage. Or let them go bankrupt and auction their spectrum off without letting bell/rogers/telus participate. I know this isn't very fair and goes against capitalist culture, but the Government has been 'looking out' for Bell/Rogers/Telus for long enough, it's time they looked out for the consumers for once, we're the ones voting them into office in the first place.
Userlevel 2
SkAshe wrote:

"get more advanced rate plans from Koodo" You mean with limited mins and limited data all at a...

+1
Userlevel 6
RoryC wrote:

I think they have to keep the mobilicity name for 5 years as that was one of the conditions the ...

I didn't know that they have to keep the name for 5 years, that kinda sucks. Maybe they can slowly integrate Koodo to those Mobilicity Shops. Like they should sell Koodo along with Mobilicty phones/plans to those places. Then after 5 years, they can dump Mobilicity altogether and focus on selling Koodo.
Userlevel 6
mattjs wrote:

I know right, I just read the news about them approving it. Now its all on the federal governments hands if they will block it or not. But honestly, if it is blocked. Telus have to pay Mobilicity 10 Million Dollars and they are gonna go through bankruptcy. Which will affect their customers. So if it does not go through, its still a lose-lose situation between telus, mobilicity, and mobilicities customers. If it goes through, then everyone can be happy. Honestly, if the government wants to add more competition, then they should buy Mobilicity, expand its services and offer it more broadly to other markets. Mobilicity does not really give that much competition because they only operate on fewer markets and does not really makes a dent to the big three carriers.
Userlevel 6
mattjs wrote:

Definitely a tricky situation and how bad does CRTC wants competition. To be honest though, I think state run utility providers can be a good thing. Looks at Sasktel, they are beautifully run and profitable. They brought down the prices in Saskatchewan. Look at TELUS/BELL plans in saskatchewan compared to Alberta they are so much better and more competitive, this is all because of Sasktel. Like Koodo, they are also rated as the best customer service in the mobile world in the entire Canada. But it all depends on the administration and how greedy they are. Obviously in Saskatchewan its working very well. I cant say if other state-run providers are the same. *ahem* MTS *ahem* is the worst out there.
Userlevel 6
SkAshe wrote:

no I mean Canada-calling, no roaming in canada, Voicemail 10, Call Display, Conference Calling, Internationl Text Messaging (SMS and MMS). More functional plans. Anyways, do you really need unlimited data? if you are using internet mainly at home? Koodo = Freedom, Mobilicity = Zone Jails
Userlevel 6
SkAshe wrote:

It's functional if it works to most people, besides who uses 6GB or even over 10GB of Data per month on their cell? Not most people for sure. Also, unlimited data on bigger cities like Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, etc, where Mobilicity networks work has abundant wifi hotspots all around. For example, Shaw wifi, Tims, McDonalds, Starbucks, Hotels, etc. Nobody in big cities really use alot of Data through their cell. I can see it with rural areas. So having unlimited data is totally unnecessary especially in urban cities just because there are alot of ways of getting free wifi, if you dont have wifi at home.
"get more advanced rate plans from Koodo" You mean with limited mins and limited data all at a higher price ?
SkAshe wrote:

Okay, but I would rather have less coverage with better plans. With Koodo, the jail isn't the coverage, it's the plans while with WIND/Mobilicity, it's the coverage and not the plans. Edit: And to answer to your question, no I don't think someone really needs unlimited data with a cellphone (there are some exceptions as always), but not being able to have a 50$ plan with unlimited or at least 300 day mins Canada wide with unlimited texting plus 6gb is not what we can call "functional plans" neither good prices.