Koodo Community
Question

Mobile Data Confusion

• 31 August 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

I have a two situations that I need an expert to clarify for me.

1. I own a Huawei Honor 8X w/Android v.10.  When I am connected to WiFi and my mobile data is turned off, I am able to send and receive text photos.

My wife recently received a Samsung Galaxy A70 w/Android v.11. For her to send or receive text     photos, her Mobile Data must be turned on. Even when connected to the same WiFi as myself. With Mobile Data turned off the message “Mobile Data is disabled. Message will send when Mobile data is enabled.”

We are both Koodo Prepaid customers with mobile data. Can someone explain to me why the two phones behave differently? Is there a setting in the Samsung A70 that would allow photos to send with Mobile Data turned off? When text photos are received on the Samsung A70, they are in MMS format.

1. This may tie in with Question One. Since the Samsung A70 only receives text photos with Mobile Data turned on. Data is being used unnecessarily. I’m assuming it’s running in the background for some reason. The phone is set to only update apps by WiFi. What else can I check to limit the amount of data that is being used. Other than shutting mobile data off.

Thanks in advance. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

1.MMS requires mobile data to be ON. It is applied to all phones. When you mentioned you need wifi to send photos, you might use RCS. More here https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/next-generation-messaging

You can follow the instructions there to turn on RCS on your wife phone. However, RCS only work between Android devices. ​​​​​​​

2.Which plans are you and your wife on? You can check your data usage in the cellular data in settings of your phone. From that, you can restrict apps to use cellular data. However, some Android system service couldn't be stopped but you can track it there. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have a two situations that I need an expert to clarify for me.

1. I own a Huawei Honor 8X w/Android v.10.  When I am connected to WiFi and my mobile data is turned off, I am able to send and receive text photos.

My wife recently received a Samsung Galaxy A70 w/Android v.11. For her to send or receive text     photos, her Mobile Data must be turned on. Even when connected to the same WiFi as myself. With Mobile Data turned off the message “Mobile Data is disabled. Message will send when Mobile data is enabled.”

We are both Koodo Prepaid customers with mobile data. Can someone explain to me why the two phones behave differently? Is there a setting in the Samsung A70 that would allow photos to send with Mobile Data turned off? When text photos are received on the Samsung A70, they are in MMS format.

1. This may tie in with Question One. Since the Samsung A70 only receives text photos with Mobile Data turned on. Data is being used unnecessarily. I’m assuming it’s running in the background for some reason. The phone is set to only update apps by WiFi. What else can I check to limit the amount of data that is being used. Other than shutting mobile data off.

Thanks in advance. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

With regards to your second question, you can turn off the Background App Refresh feature to avoid unnecessary data consumption on your phone. https://www.asurion.com/connect/tech-tips/conserve-phone-data-by-turning-off-the-background-refresh/

Userlevel 1

@Dinh. Thank You for your reply. But as I clearly stated in my first statement, “When I am connected to WiFi and my mobile data is turned off, I am able to send and receive text photos.” Which is a correct statement. I actually think that WiFi is irrelevant.

Your statement of: “MMS requires mobile data to be ON. It is applied to all phones.” is actually incorrect. Please hear me out, then try this solution. It worked for me.  mms texts can now be sent and received without mobile data turned on!

All phones have “Hidden Settings”. Android 10 and above offers a setting to allow MMS Rx & Tx without DATA being on. For a reason that baffles me Samsung has not only hidden it but they also left it in the OFF position on top of that. Here is how to get to the hidden MMS option.

• Navigate to the playstore. Then find and install "Hidden Settings" by PDquila
  • Once you have done that open the apk and select the 3rd option down "Mobile Networks
  • Select MMS ON

You should now be able to send and receive MMS Texts with your Mobile Data turned OFF. For the record, a friend of mine found this solution. I am simply passing his knowledge along. I hope this works for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The app might enable data “secretly” but only for MMS in your phone. There were some posts about it in the past by modifying APN and keep the cellular data on but without data consumption. You could search through the forum. I wouldn’t go that path with the PDquila as the app might do something else to your phone without your knowing.

Also, if you already know the trick with the app and you were not hesitant to use, you can try on other phone.