Koodo Community

Community

Lost/Stolen Phone Service

Another provider has a great replacement plan for a lost or stolen phone. With Koodo it is very difficult to replace a phone with a refurbished one, there are never any available! Even out the playing field between kiosks so that this can be more easily done!

20 replies

Userlevel 7
hmm can you describe this other provider's replacement plan.
Daniel Kim wrote:

Rogers. If you lose, break your phone or just plain old dislike your phone, you can go into walmart for instance and buy any pay as you go phone, slip your SIM card and Voila! Koodo pay as you go phones are only for pay as you go.
Userlevel 7
Daniel Kim wrote:

Actually I don't think that's true. A Pay as you go phone should work with a Koodo Postpaid sim. Unless I'm mistaken.
Userlevel 2
Daniel Kim wrote:

You can use any Koodo phone for postpaid or prepaid service since the network information is within the sim card of the specific service.
Daniel Kim wrote:

Well I went to a store, wanted to buy a prepaid phone, like I had in the past with Rogers, whose service I DO NOT like, and the guy called Koodo and Koodo said that you cannot do that. So unless the guy in the Walmart and the guy at Koodo are both wrong....
Userlevel 2
Daniel Kim wrote:

You would need to set up a prepaid account to use the prepaid service. You can't use prepaid service on a postpaid account.
Daniel Kim wrote:

that is right, exactly what i said
Userlevel 7
Daniel Kim wrote:

Wait a second, You can use a PREPAID sim on any device. also you can use any compatible device with a prepaid / postpaid sim. I'm not sure what we're discussing. You can simply walk into walmart and grab any koodo prepaid blister pack. Pull the phone out and insert either a prepaid or postpaid sim and it will work. Is there something i'm missing? Now if you need a new sim, go back to the booth and explain your phone and sim were stolen, Show the proper ID and buy the appropriate sim card (if you're coming from postpaid your old sim was likely in the stolen phone). and ask that your service be transfered to the new sim. Pop it into the walmart prepaid koodo phone and you're right back in service. Prepaid service can only be transfered to a prepaid sim postpaid server can only be transfered to a postpaid sim
Daniel Kim wrote:

You cannot, that is what you do not understand. Not where I am from anyways. So if I happen to get robbed, drop my phone in the toilet, run it over with my car, lose it or any other imaginable situation, which is my fault or not, if I want a quick substitute, I must buy a phone at full price, unless I have a small amount left on my tab. All I am saying is that it would be great if Koodo's recycling plan was more efficient for people in unfortunate situations.
Userlevel 7
Daniel Kim wrote:

Out of my last statement what is it that you're saying you can not do?
Userlevel 2
Daniel Kim wrote:

@Kimberly: That is correct. It is on you get a new phone. It is not on Koodo to replace lost/stolen/damaged phones, nor should it be. That being said, if you know of someone who has a Koodo phone that isn't using it, you can put a prepaid/postpaid sim card in the phone.
Daniel Kim wrote:

walk into walmart, pick up a pay as you go phone and stick your sim card in it if you are not a pay as you go planned person/subscriber...And you also cannot pick up a pay as go phone from Koodo and have it associated with your current monthly account.
Daniel Kim wrote:

Holy Moly!!!! I know it isnt on Koodo to replace my phone!
Daniel Kim wrote:

I am speaking of a program like other providers that work well! This post was for suggestions!
Userlevel 7
Daniel Kim wrote:

You can. Let's take me for example I loose my phone and sim card I goto my local kiosk and buy a new SIM Card for 10$ I tell the Kiosk guy I want him to transfer my service to the new sim please (he does) I walk into walmart and pickup a new prepaid phone I insert my new sim into that phone Boom it works. If they won't sell you the phone, they are misinformed.
Userlevel 2
Daniel Kim wrote:

Confirming Chad's information is correct. The problem here, is that retailers sometimes mix up information. I can almost guarantee you if you walked into a Koodo Shop, you'd get the information we are telling you.
Userlevel 2
I don't really see the value in a replacement plan. It would only benefit a few. The others would just be paying into it without getting anything out of it. And, in my opinion, it shouldn't be up to the provider to cover the cost of someone's responsibility of the phone. Does it suck when a phone is lost or stolen? It sure does, but it shouldn't be on the provider to cover that. You can get insurance for these items through 3rd party services.
Userlevel 5
Who is this other provider? If you lost your phone or it has been stolen, first report it in Self Serve so the service can be shut down. If you want any "service", you can always call Koodo Customer Care and ask for the loyalty department and see what you can get. It's your responsibility that you keep your phone safe and secure. It's not Koodos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The replacement plans are expensive and a waste of money if you never use them to make a claim. From my experience its $7 a month and then when you make a claim its $200 if its a damaged phone and you send the damaged one back, or if you lost it or it was stolen so you cant send one to them then you have to pay $300 for a refurbished device. Also your not dealing with the carrier but a insurance company that the carrier just has a contract with. So really with the price if the phones koodo carries for the most part its not worth it at all. Just save that money on your own and then if you do break or lose your phone you can buy a new one and if not then you have money saved to upgrade your phone when you want or buy something else. Just put a tracking app on your phone and get a quality case and you have no worries and it costs you alot less.
I think some of you may have misunderstood. No one put the responsibility on koodo to keep ones phone safe. It is just another department of customer service that has refurbished Koodo phones selling at a cheaper price do that if you have the misfortune of your cell going astray, falling in the toilet, being robbed and so on, there is a more " green" and economical option. Koodo already sells refurbished phones, the kiosks are not stocked well enough with them or they sell them to anyone so they don't have enough.