Koodo Community

Community

Solved

local calling area can we move it?

want to move my number's local calling area. is it possible? Purchased a business with this phone number and it was in Calgary ab now it is in Grande Prairie ab.

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Unfortunately, you can not change your numbers local area, this is set by telcos and governed by your area code and extension (the thre digits after your area code)

Your only option is to change your number
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

Unfortunately, you can not change your numbers local area, this is set by telcos and governed b...

Sorry the three digits is the exchange not the extension
Chad Burr wrote:

Unfortunately, you can not change your numbers local area, this is set by telcos and governed b...

Why when I moved my phone to a different provider - maintaining my number - did they allow me to choose my local calling area then? 
It seems to me this is a Koodo restriction, not an infrastructure restriction. 
Blair
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

Area codes and exchanges are locked in to a given geographic area. The number 807-344-xxxx,for example, will always be a Thunder Bay number. It is not possible to make it a Toronto number instead.
Used to do that with Telus!
Userlevel 7
Duane Loos wrote:

Telus made it possible for people outside your local area to call as if it was local for them?
Duane Loos wrote:

i was able to change my local calling area from Fairview ab to Grande Prairie ab. same number
Userlevel 7
Duane Loos wrote:

Including the area code?
Duane Loos wrote:

yes all of it was the same
Duane Loos wrote:

possible could have been rogers
Userlevel 7
Duane Loos wrote:

Welp beyond my knowledge base so we'll have to wait and see if someone knows more.
Duane Loos wrote:

sorry its my company # so i want to keep it. hope that something comes up thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Duane Loos wrote:

If Koodo cant do it, you may want to call Telus to Confirm they can. Then port your number over from Koodo to Telus
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Duane Loos wrote:

Wouldn't it be better to have a number your Grande Prairie customers recognize as local? Else the use of a toll-free number makes sense if your business area is greater than your local calling area. When your business is new, and you are advertising yourself to your customers is the time to present a new number. Through a VoIP service, you could even have more than one number ring your phone.
Userlevel 6
Are you saying you want local, Grande Prairie callers to be able to call your Calgary number as if it was a local call (to them)?
I want the number in grande prairie the company is not in Calgary anymore so in a sense yes. This # was with Telus there packages are considerably higher in price for less
Userlevel 6
Duane Loos wrote:

I want the number in grande prairie the company is not in Calgary anymore so in a sense yes. This...

You can take your number and since you are with koodo, depending on your plan, all calls for you are going to be local. You can keep your number but I don't think you change the local calling area exchange.
Userlevel 7
So I brought this question to our Koodo liason and here is the response:

We definitely cannot change the local zone for a number. He can always try to change his number for something similar, with a different area code.. but I feel it's not an option for him. Perhaps TELUS' business account holders can do that, but i would be very surprised.