Koodo Community
Question

Koodo roaming coverage in US

• 30 August 2013
  • 7 replies

I'm currently in Portland, OR with my Koodo phone. Since I got here it has been reporting "no service." I assumed my Koodo roaming plan would cover all of the U.S. Is this incorrect? When I was in San Francisco I was on AT&T. Here in Portland I only see two T-mobile networks and a network labelled "A." Can I only connect to AT&T with Koodo? If so this makes my roaming package kind of a waste of money.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you're on a monthly plan, you need to make sure roaming is enabled (by calling customer service). If you're on prepaid, roaming is not currently possible.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Have you tried connecting to tmobile? To my understanding it should work.
Thank you for your quick replies. The solution was to select the t-mobile network manually. I had it set to pick the network automatically. Roaming was already enabled (it worked elsewhere in the US, but just not in Portland).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I just want to point out that you don't need to add any roaming packages or call in to enable roaming per say for your phone to function in the usa. Postpaid phones do it by default. Most phones do have data roaming shut off by default however (and imho should be left that way unless you take a package). All the packages do is save you money. From the us roaming pdf (and my own personal experience): http://help.koodomobile.com/Portals/0/Travelling/USRoaming_E.pdf U.S. Roaming Add-ons help you avoid extra pay-per-use charges, but if you prefer not to get one, no problem! Just remember that talk, text and data are charged separately from your regular monthly plan at these rates: Region Voice Data (MB)Text Messaging (SMS
Userlevel 5
The only real difference between T-Mobile and AT&T when roaming is for most phones you will only get 2G/Edge internet speeds on T-Mobile. It seems a little weird it didn't pick it automatically, I've had mine hop around if I didn't specify one or the other.
Userlevel 1
I've roamed on Tmobile and always get 3G in major cities and 2G everywhere else.
Userlevel 5
I've roamed on Tmobile and always get 3G in major cities and 2G everywhere else.Yeah depends on what bands the phone supports. All but the newest iPhones will only get 2G for example.