Koodo Community
Question

Koodo is increasing rates for its own Legacy Customers and Migration Plans from Public Mobile

Userlevel 4
I switched from Public Mobile to Koodo around 2 years ago in order to avoid price increase. Everybody assured me that Koodo is not like Rogers and Bell and usually don’t increase rates for Legacy Customers. Obviously, it was special offer and “not in market” plan at that time. In the section of my agreement related to price guarantee it has been written: “...Koodo will not change your monthly rate plan charge or services included in your rate plan without your consent, as long as plan is in market...”

Again, they offer some substitute plan that is not in market, learning from current bad experience with koodo it means they can increase plan again after few months as long as they give one month notice prior to the increase. The same trick like with Public Mobile. It is hard to trust Koodo anymore.

My question is, if anyone has had such a case with Koodo previously? Maybe someone or some Koodo Rep. can advise me if that could be a base for a CRTC complain.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@Jan Hope I do understand how you might feel. On the other hand i'm unaware of any business that could freeze prices for life and hope to survive for long. We do try to look for way to reduce some operating costs that would help limit frequency of price increases. We have shown that on a number of occasions. Surely there will be a healthy response to your post and I don't anticipate we will get any support in our favour.

As far as submitting a complaint, here is something straight from the Commission in terms of what is not considered admissible:

"The amount that your provider charges for the services it delivers is a business decision that it alone is entitled to make. Marketplace competition means that you may find a better deal with another provider."
Userlevel 4
@Jan Hope I do understand how you might feel. On the other hand i'm unaware of any business that could freeze prices for life and hope to survive for long. We do try to look for way to reduce some operating costs that would help limit frequency of price increases. We have shown that on a number of occasions. Surely there will be a healthy response to your post and I don't anticipate we will get any support in our favour.

As far as submitting a complaint, here is something straight from the Commission in terms of what is not considered admissible:

"The amount that your provider charges for the services it delivers is a business decision that it alone is entitled to make. Marketplace competition means that you may find a better deal with another provider."

@Bernard Koodo thanks for a quick response.

First of all there’s no marketplace competition in Canada, there’s only monopoly subsidized indirectly and sometimes directly by government, according to some self proclaimed experts in that field. CRTC is one of those useless, consuming high amount of taxpayers money organizations, created to protect mostly big telcos and not those that pay their inflated salaries. Their response will be predictable and not surprising.

Telus, Bell and Rogers is so strongly established and settled now in Canada that operating costs actually should slowly go down following cheaper and not higher prices. The problem is the consumers themselves. Heaving a phone is no more necessity. It is combination of entertainment and addiction. The real reason behind price increases is that shareholders wants more and more return on their investment.

Obviously Legacy Customers become easy target. If they change provider they’re not profitable for Koodo, anyway and because of strong telcos monopoly, our beloved three providers with a strong support of CRTC can say: “...if you don’t like it go to another provider or better yet stay with us since we have monopoly and you won’t find anything cheaper, anyway.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you slam the door shut and change providers, you are only doing the dirty work for them. It's a game of musical chairs that pays only the DJ's. Enjoy the new outfit, new rates.... another underperforming account off the old books.

No wonder there is no retention department and the corporate telcos are big on reporting the number of new subscribers they have acquired in the past quarter.
Userlevel 4
Hi to All,

I would like to say that I am a proponent of totally free market economy and private corporations can do whatever they want in terms of pricing of their services as long as they abide by the law of the land and don’t use any dirty tricks to crash competition. It doesn’t matter for me whether they are doing that because of shareholders demand or even because of pure greed. They know how far they can go in healthy and truly free market economy.

The problem is that here in Canada there’s no healthy competition and sometimes taxpayers money are involved in something that should be totally private and independent. If our taxpayers money are used not to promote healthy free market economy, then it is our obligation and duty to interfere, even with private corporations. If they are receiving preferential treatment from the government of the day, they will always be prone to scrutiny and some strings will be attached.

They cannot have best of the both worlds.

And by the way, to be fair to Koodo, they are all out there doing the same thing. Koodo has been the only one that done it less frequently that is why is more outstanding when it does so.
Userlevel 4
If you slam the door shut and change providers, you are only doing the dirty work for them. It's a game of musical chairs that pays only the DJ's. Enjoy the new outfit, new rates.... another underperforming account off the old books.

No wonder there is no retention department and the corporate telcos are big on reporting the number of new subscribers they have acquired in the past quarter.

@BobTheElectrician I thought that Koodo is the only one that doesn’t have retention department.

I am not quite sure who am doing dirty work for Koodo or CRTC? I feel like “Dirty Harry” It doesn’t matter whether I am going to stay or leave that is going to be absolutely my choice. No one is going to intimidate me or keep me from expressing my personal opinion. Where it is written that you cannot criticize provider that you stay with, anyway.
Userlevel 2
Surely there will be a healthy response to your post and I don't anticipate we will get any support in our favour.
The only reason I haven't responded to this thread is because it wouldn't be healthy. 😅
Userlevel 4
Hi @Bernard Koodo,

As you can see almost all responses are in your favour. Don’t anticipate to much in the future. It is called “mind reading”

We “Legacy Users” are like dinosaurs. No one is going to support us in our lonely fight. In times of “Matrix” we are dying breed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi @Bernard Koodo,

As you can see almost all responses are in your favour. Don’t anticipate to much in the future. It is called “mind reading”

We “Legacy Users” are like dinosaurs. No one is going to support us in our lonely fight. In times of “Matrix” we are dying breed.

You may get a better response on reddit but unfortunately with what koodo did is within the Wireless Code
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@Jan Hope Not sure what you mean by saying “all responses are in your favour”.

The Matrix reference is interesting. As Morpheus said, we all have a choice:

“You take the blue pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember: all I'm offering is the truth.”
Userlevel 4
@Jan Hope Not sure what you mean by saying “all responses are in your favour”.

The Matrix reference is interesting. As Morpheus said, we all have a choice:

“You take the blue pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember: all I'm offering is the truth.”

@Bernard Koodo No responses, are all responses. It is like not voting during elections. There is no neutrality. Whether you like it or not you voted for a winner. There is an old saying that ...good people choose bad governments by not voting...

I do not care whether Koodoo wants to increase their prices or not or even how much. There are more important things to be concern in this world than such an insignificant thing like a smart phone. Children dying from a hunger in this world let alone they would be able to spend money for a pure entertainment.

If they increase too much I simply stop using smart phone.

Because I am a taxpayer so even if one penny goes to telcos, I want to be sure that they done it according to specific guidelines. Why to give them free pass.

I am greatly misunderstood here. So I have to quote myself:

“I would like to say that I am a proponent of totally free market economy and private corporations can do whatever they want in terms of pricing of their services as long as they abide by the law of the land and don’t use any dirty tricks to crash competition. It doesn’t matter for me whether they are doing that because of shareholders demand or even because of pure greed. They know how far they can go in healthy and truly free market economy.”

“The problem is that here in Canada there’s no healthy competition and sometimes taxpayers money are involved in something that should be totally private and independent. If our taxpayers money are used not to promote healthy free market economy, then it is our obligation and duty to interfere, even with private corporations. If they are receiving preferential treatment from the government of the day, they will always be prone to scrutiny and some strings will be attached.”

“They cannot have best of the both worlds.”

“And by the way, to be fair to Koodo, they are all out there doing the same thing. Koodo has been the only one that done it less frequently that is why is more outstanding when it does so.”
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
My question is, if anyone has had such a case with Koodo previously? Maybe someone or some Koodo Rep. can advise me if that could be a base for a CRTC complain.

Nope, this is a new low for Koodo. It's a shame really, because one of the "bragging" points for me was the fact that Koodo grandfathered their plans indefinitely, period. Sadly this is no longer the case, but I also don't think there is anything that can be done about it.

I don't think you have a basis for a CRTC complaint, but you are free to try.
Userlevel 4

My question is, if anyone has had such a case with Koodo previously? Maybe someone or some Koodo Rep. can advise me if that could be a base for a CRTC complain.Nope, this is a new low for Koodo. It's a shame really, because one of the "bragging" points for me was the fact that Koodo grandfathered their plans indefinitely, period. Sadly this is no longer the case, but I also don't think there is anything that can be done about it.

I don't think you have a basis for a CRTC complaint, but you are free to try.

Hi @Sophia,

Thanks for response and your moral support. I know that you have been working so hard for such a long time on PM and Koodo to help people solve their issues. Knowing that even you think that Koodo acted shamefully give me some comfort that I am not alone. Let’s forget about CRTC for a while. I don’t understand why they would do that in the first place. I don’t believe that it is all about cutting costs.