Koodo Community
Question

Is this a legitimate number?

• 16 September 2020
  • 23 replies

i received a text saying

“Koodo: Heads-up! We just received a request to cancel a subscriber from your account and transfer the mobile phone number to another carrier. If you didn’t make this request, please call 1-844-232-7678 as soon as you can. If you requested the transfer, no action is needed.”

I just wanted to know if i can trust this message and that this is a legitimate number to call.

This topic has been closed for comments

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, it is a legit number, and someone (could be a hacker) is trying to port your number out from Koodo.

This is a serious situation. I would suggest you check your paypal account and other bank accounts to make sure they are not compromised.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Contact Koodo porting department 1-844-232-7678 on 9am tomorrow and work with them to stop the illegal transfer. Also, if you have your cell phone identified for a 2-line verification with any financial institution, replace it with another contact number (land line or VOIP).  Good luck!

I just got this too and can't call at this time of night

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Sadly, this is true Maggie. As nim said, call them tomorrow morning first thing... It is important you take action.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Not to worry. Just contact Koodo porting department 1-844-232-7678 tomorrow on 9am tomorrow  and you should be able to stop the porting. Good luck!

I'm so confused is all they need my phone number to do this or do they have a password to something?

As well  is it 9am Est?

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Nothing should happen over night and talking to the porting department in the morning should start the ball rolling (actually, stop the ball rolling). One advice given to people who experience an attempted illegal number transfer, is to remove their cell phone number as the contact number for the 2-step verification (e.g., the number your bank calls to verify your login).  I have selected a land line phone number for my 2-step verification. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Yes it is 9am EST

Thank you. Weirdly my samsung account has been hounding me to set it up and I JUST finally agreed to it and then this…

I do not believe I've set it up with my bank (that I can recall) and have since changed my samsung pw

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Just for perspective. Nothing serious happened yet. Somebody (a bad guy) has asked another provider to ask koodo to transfer your number to the ‘other’ provider.  The koodo porting department, according to their procedure, sent you a text message asking you if you approve of the number transfer. The porting department should proceed with the transfer until you approve that the transfer request is legit. If you approve, the transfer will take place. If you do not approve, the request for transfer will be rejected and (hopefully) an ‘illegal number porting’ investigation will take place. If you contact koodo’s porting department tomorrow morning, you should be OK.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Correction: The porting department should NOTproceed with the transfer until you approve that the transfer request is legit. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Correction: The porting department should NOTproceed with the transfer until you approve that the transfer request is legit. 

That's only if you have port protection enabled on your account. I was ported out, but the team was able to recover my number. I now have port protection. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

The fact that they both received a text message from koodo’s porting department, indicates to me that there was a port out protection enabled on both lines. BTW, I strongly believe that koodo MUST have port prtection enabled on ALL lines to protect its customers and to decrease its liability.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@Karam Chikabam  and @Meggerz53  Once you have your porting issue resolved, at your convenience,  please share your information with the community. Of special interest will be anything that you learned that could help customers better protect themselves against such breach and any other lessons learned. Thank you! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The fact that they both received a text message from koodo’s porting department, indicates to me that there was a port out protection enabled on both lines. BTW, I strongly believe that koodo MUST have port prtection enabled on ALL lines to protect its customers and to decrease its liability.

The fact that the text messages in question stated: “If you requested the transfer, no action is needed.” indicates that if no action is taken the port will go through. That's a clear indication that port protection is NOT active on the account.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@Timo Tuokkola Port protection dictates a procedure whereby a number transfer request (by another mobile provider) is not executed UNTIL the owner of the line confirms that he/she requested the number transfer. The text received by  both @Karam Chikabam  and @Meggerz53  sent by koodo’s porting department is inline with number port protection procedures. If their lines were not protected, the illegal request for transfer would have been already executed without customer’s authorization.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Timo Tuokkola Port protection dictates a procedure whereby a number transfer request (by another mobile provider) is not executed UNTIL the owner of the line confirms that he/she requested the number transfer. The text received by  both @Karam Chikabam  and @Meggerz53  sent by koodo’s porting department is inline with number port protection procedures. If their lines were not protected, the illegal request for transfer would have been already executed without customer’s authorization.

If they did not make the request and the number would not be ported out without their approval, why would they be told to call as soon as possible?

Similarly, if they DID make the request and needed to call to give their approval, why would they be told not to do anything?

Read the message again. You've got it backwards.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@Timo Tuokkola I personally went through an illegal attempt and recovery and have a first-hand knowledge and understanding of the processes. The text message is sent to the customers because there is a porting request pending and koodo needs to clear it with their customer before the approve or reject it. If you are not clear with the portig process, I encourage you to speak to your koodo porting department. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Timo Tuokkola I personally went through an illegal attempt and recovery and have a first-hand knowledge and understanding of the processes. The text message is sent to the customers because there is a porting request pending and koodo needs to clear it with their customer before the approve or reject it. If you are not clear with the portig process, I encourage you to speak to your koodo porting department. 

I also personally went through it, and did not have port protection enabled. The message made it clear that if I took no action the port would go through and it did, even though I took action before it went through. Texts aren't only sent out if you have port protection enabled. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

My experience with Rogers was different. I was told by their porting department  that the message was part of their ‘port out blocking’ procedure which ensured that my ‘blocked’ line will not be ported out until their verification team verified that I am the one who initiated the transfer request. If koodo’s process is different, let it be so, as long as it protects koodo customers against illegal port out. I am repeating my hope that koodo will enable port protection to all its customers to protect them against illegal number port outs and reduce koodo’s liability in case of subsequent breaches resulting from the illegal port out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

My experience with Rogers was different. I was told by their porting department  that the message was part of their ‘port out blocking’ procedure which ensured that my ‘blocked’ line will not be ported out until their verification team verified that I am the one who initiated the transfer request. If koodo’s process is different, let it be so, as long as it protects koodo customers against illegal port out. I am repeating my hope that koodo will enable port protection to all its customers to protect them against illegal number port outs and reduce koodo’s liability in case of subsequent breaches resulting from the illegal port out.

You are using your first hand experience  with Rogers and assuming it is the same as Koodo's despite people here who have first hand experience with Koodo saying otherwise. I hope that you see this disconnect. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I get that there is a difference. The main idea though, is to protect customers against number port outs. It worked for me with Rogers, and since both @Karam Chikabam  and @Meggerz53 received the text and (hopefully) acted on it quickly, It should work and protect them too.  And again, I am repeating my hope that koodo will enable port protection to all its customers to protect them against illegal number port out such that customers can stop the illegal port out even if the mitigation response is delayed.